XFCE move volume control from indicator to panel

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arnad
Level 2
Level 2

XFCE move volume control from indicator to panel

Post by arnad »

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask if there is a way to move the volume control that appears in the indicator to the panel. Reason for this is that I do not wish to use the indicator plugin (among others because it does not change with my theme and menus do not property resize in it) but would like to keep volume control. All other icons from the indicator plugin (WiFi, Clementine) automatically moved into the panel. But there does not seem to be an option to add volume control to the panel as well.

I am aware that I could, e.g., add PulseAudio Plugin, but it does not have the same functionality.

Greetings,

Arnad
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: XFCE move volume control from indicator to panel

Post by MtnDewManiac »

That's an interesting question. If you don't get a response here, ask it at the Xfce community support forum:

Code: Select all

https://forum.xfce.org/
ToZ over there seems to know just about everything about Xfce.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

I've been using XFCE for many years. For me, the keyboard volume buttons are all that I use. Volume up, Volume down, and Mute. Can't imagine needing more than that. Those volume functions usually work on laptops with the FN key as well. Alternatively, you might be able to set up instant custom keyboard shortcuts of your own, specifically for volume functions and by using your own preferred keys. Perhaps this link might have a solution for you?
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... fce/342555

Greetings from Overseas ...

PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I have owned two laptops now (from different brands, and running different versions of Mint, from 14 to 17.3 (I have not tried this function in my 18.x install)), and with each to them, when I use the keyboard volume keys - one was through actual volume buttons, the other (current) one utilizes a Fn key modifier - I get "runaway button press effect." That is to say, if I hold the Fn key and tap the volume up key when my audio volume level is at 0%, it climbs to 100% and continues to show this keypress action for... a while. Holding down the power button for four seconds stops it :roll: .

So I'll continue to use the panel application controls.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Laurentius

Post by Laurentius »

To have an independent volume icon on the panel you can install xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin and add it to the panel.

sudo apt-get install xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Laurentius wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:23 pm To have an independent volume icon on the panel you can install xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin and add it to the panel.
arnad wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:18 amI am aware that I could, e.g., add PulseAudio Plugin, but it does not have the same functionality.
:roll:

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

arnad
Level 2
Level 2

Post by arnad »

LinWinux wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:45 am Can't imagine needing more than that. Those volume functions usually work on laptops with the FN key as well.
My FN-keys work fine. However, I would like to have an indicator of what my volume is at and if I muted it or not. Also, the link to my audio applications is useful.
If you don't get a response here, ask it at the Xfce community support forum.
I'll give this a try, thanks.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

You're already in the XFCE section of the Linux Mint forums.
So that would be this forum, the official XFCE forum:
https://forum.xfce.org/

PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.

Return to “Xfce”