[Solved] How do I do these two things in Linuxmint 19 Xfce ?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kayeng

[Solved] How do I do these two things in Linuxmint 19 Xfce ?

Post by kayeng »

Hello friends

1. In Linuxmint 18 Cinnamon, I always make my panel invisible by editing the file:

/usr/share/themes/Linux Mint/cinnamon/cinnamon.css

.panel-top,
.panel-bottom {
background-gradient-direction: vertical;
background-gradient-start: rgba(0,0,0,0);
background-gradient-end: rgba(0,0,0,0);
box-shadow: 0px 0px 2px 2px rgba(0,0,0,0);
}

What would be the equivalent of this in Linuxmint 19 Xfce? What file should I edit?

2. In Linuxmint 18 Cinnamon, I have added a "CPU Temperature Indicator" on the panel (so I can monitor the temperature). How can I do the same with the panel of Linuxmint 19 Xfce?

Thank you very much.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How do I do these two things in Linuxmint 19 Xfce ?

Post by Night Wing »

kayeng wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:59 am Hello friends

1. In Linuxmint 18 Cinnamon, I always make my panel invisible by editing the file:

/usr/share/themes/Linux Mint/cinnamon/cinnamon.css

.panel-top,
.panel-bottom {
background-gradient-direction: vertical;
background-gradient-start: rgba(0,0,0,0);
background-gradient-end: rgba(0,0,0,0);
box-shadow: 0px 0px 2px 2px rgba(0,0,0,0);
}

What would be the equivalent of this in Linuxmint 19 Xfce? What file should I edit?
There is nothing to edit code wise.

Just right click on the Panel. In the context menu that pops up, left click on Panel Properties. Under the Display tab, look at where it says to "Automatically hide the panel", the default is Never. Just left click on the downward pointing asterisk and change Never to Always. Then left click on Close.

Can't help you with the temperature settings. I use a Desktop tower computer with lots of fans in the case so I'm guessing you're using a laptop.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi kayeng,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

1.) As "Night Wing" mentioned, I am pretty sure all editions of Linux Mint are able to auto-hide their panels without editing anything by changing the panel settings properties.

2.) If you right-click a panel, there may be an add applet option for CPU temp, and you can always install "Psensor", or "conky".

How To Check Laptop CPU Temperature In Ubuntu | It's FOSS
https://itsfoss.com/check-laptop-cpu-te ... re-ubuntu/

Alternative System Monitor Applet For LXDE, Xfce, And MATE: Multiload-ng ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog
http://www.webupd8.org/2016/08/alternat ... t-for.html

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

right-click panel > Panel > Panel Preferences > Appearance > Style: None or Solid color and then move Alpha slider to 0% which is transparent

for temperatures install xfce4-sensors-plugin (you can search synaptic for xfce4 plugins) . once installed right-click the panel >
Panel > Panel Preferences > Items > click the ADD or PLUS and select Sensor plugin

i'm sure from there you can figure out what temperature to display
mint4all
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mint4all »

trytip wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:44 pm right-click panel > Panel > Panel Preferences > Appearance > Style: None or Solid color and then move Alpha slider to 0% which is transparent

for temperatures install xfce4-sensors-plugin (you can search synaptic for xfce4 plugins) . once installed right-click the panel >
Panel > Panel Preferences > Items > click the ADD or PLUS and select Sensor plugin

i'm sure from there you can figure out what temperature to display
Greetings!

Fwiw, in addition to the above "...-sensors-plugin", you can try installing the "xfce4-multiload-ng-plugin" via your package manager (synaptic, or apt-get). Note: this is an older / back-level version and might not work -- but try if it works for you.

Re. your theme-tweaks ... Lm19-Xfce ships with the GTK2-based version; the GTK3-based upgrades (Xfce-4.13.* versions) are not yet in Mint's repos, but might be included in Xubuntu-18.10 (being curious myself i've get the latest beta .iso, but have not booted it up yet). Aside from that, afaik, the above-mentioned adjustment only deals with a panel's background transparency, but does nothing for accomplishing the background's gradient adjustments you're after. Btw: the Xfce-DE does not distinguish between a top or bottom panel per se; any tweaks would affect ALL panels alike ... Can you live with that?

Cheers, m4a
kayeng

Post by kayeng »

Thank you very much everyone for your input.

I have decided to go with trytip's suggestions.

1. right-click panel > Panel > Panel Preferences > Appearance > Style: None or Solid color and then move Alpha slider to 0% which is transparent
BUT the panel had a visible shadow on the bottom, so I went to Menu -> Settings -> Desktop Settings --> chose "Metacity + Compositing" as the Manager.
And now it has the exact same look that I had in Linuxmint 18. (Pretty boring look but that's my issue.)

2. for temperatures install xfce4-sensors-plugin. Seems to work fine, although I wish it didn't have the word "Sensors" showing on the panel, but it's ok.

I have several other questions regarding Linuxmint 19 Xfce which I'll post as a new thread.

Thanks again!
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: [Solved] How do I do these two things in Linuxmint 19 Xfce ?

Post by tdockery97 »

You can edit the sensors plugin so that it does not show the "sensors" title and shows only the temp.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
kayeng

Re: [Solved] How do I do these two things in Linuxmint 19 Xfce ?

Post by kayeng »

tdockery97 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:16 am You can edit the sensors plugin so that it does not show the "sensors" title and shows only the temp.
Got it. Simply uncheck "Show title".

Thanks!

Return to “Xfce”