[Solved] Few questions regarding Linuxmint 19 Xfce

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kayeng

[Solved] Few questions regarding Linuxmint 19 Xfce

Post by kayeng »

Hello Friends

First of all, apologies to admin if this is not the right forum for this post. Please transfer it accordingly. Thank you.

My system:
Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

1. When I was using Lubuntu, numlock would not automatically turn on upon logging in. I would edit
/etc/mdm/mdm.conf
by adding this line

greeter-setup-script=/usr/bin/numlockx on

so that when I log into the operating system, the numlock would be turned on already.

In my Linux Mint 19 Xfce desktop computer, the numlock also doesn't turn on automatically when I log in, but there is no /etc/mdm/mdm.conf to edit.

2. Linux Mint 19 Xfce uses the Thunar file explorer. I was wondering if it has the option to show "Documents", "Pictures", "Downloads", "Videos" etc. in the left panel. Not a big deal.

3. It seems that gksu is no longer supported. I'm used to pressing Alt-F2, then typing "gksu synaptic" (or gksu nemo, or any other app). I've found out that in Linuxmint 19 Xfce, I have to type "pkexec any-app-name", which is fine. I was wondering if there are other alternatives I don't know about, or is that the easiest?

4. In the panel I have the Clock app. Is there anyway to edit the font and color of the text? Not important but would be cool.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Few questions regarding Linuxmint 19 Xfce

Post by HaveaMint »

kayeng wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:21 am
2. Linux Mint 19 Xfce uses the Thunar file explorer. I was wondering if it has the option to show "Documents", "Pictures", "Downloads", "Videos" etc. in the left panel. Not a big deal.
View / sidepane / tree should get your thunar view
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

kayeng wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:21 am ...
1. When I was using Lubuntu, numlock would not automatically turn on upon logging in. I would edit
/etc/mdm/mdm.conf
by adding this line

greeter-setup-script=/usr/bin/numlockx on

so that when I log into the operating system, the numlock would be turned on already.

In my Linux Mint 19 Xfce desktop computer, the numlock also doesn't turn on automatically when I log in, but there is no /etc/mdm/mdm.conf to edit.
In Software Manager, install Numlockx. This will add a setting to the Login Window, Settings so that you can Activate it.
Shutter_004.jpg
You can also keep Numlock on after logging in by running this command in Terminal:

Code: Select all

numlockx on
To turn it off after logging in:

Code: Select all

numlockx off

3. It seems that gksu is no longer supported. I'm used to pressing Alt-F2, then typing "gksu synaptic" (or gksu nemo, or any other app). I've found out that in Linuxmint 19 Xfce, I have to type "pkexec any-app-name", which is fine. I was wondering if there are other alternatives I don't know about, or is that the easiest?
You'll want to use pkexec for GUI apps that are run in elevated privileges. It's basically the replacement for gksu and gksudo. I don't know of any other easier way. Maybe someone else can chime in.
4. In the panel I have the Clock app. Is there anyway to edit the font and color of the text? Not important but would be cool.

Thank you.
I haven't found a way. It's probably an edit that needs to be done on a .css file somewhere.
kayeng

Post by kayeng »

Thank you very much. I'll mark this thread as solved.
slavko
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [Solved] Few questions regarding Linuxmint 19 Xfce

Post by slavko »

OP already marked this as "solved" but anyway... :)
kayeng wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:21 am 4. In the panel I have the Clock app. Is there anyway to edit the font and color of the text? Not important but would be cool.
If you change clock format to "custom" you will be able to, well, customize it, to some extent.

The plugin supports markup to change the layout of the tooltip and the label on the panel.

You can use format control sequences supported by a date utility, as described here:
http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/clock

You can use Pango markup attributes, described here:
https://developer.gnome.org/pango/unsta ... ormat.html

Additionally, you can use %n and %t for new-lines and tabs.

Here's my clock:
clock.jpg

But be aware: plugin is somewhat buggy, it can delete your custom fields for no reason.

Sometimes when you close Properties dialog, it can delete what you have entered in custom fields, and you will think that your clock has disappeared. But it's there, but showing nothing because Custom fields are empty. So, you have to guess where it is on the panel, right click, choose Properties again, set your custom format again... This can happen only on closing Properties dialog. So, if you are happy how your clock looks, don't open it's Properties again! :D
kayeng

Re: [Solved] Few questions regarding Linuxmint 19 Xfce

Post by kayeng »

Thank you slavko, appreciate it very much

Return to “Xfce”