Mint 19 Xfce Window Manager hangs

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
daisyb

Mint 19 Xfce Window Manager hangs

Post by daisyb »

the 'wheel' just keeps turning when I select Window Manager or Window Manager Tweaks. I installed 'OneColor XFCE 4k' pack yesterday and had no problems changing window/border colours with Window Manager. I tried restoring a Timeshift snapshot without any success in getting Window Manager up again.

I only switched to Xfce last week because my computer is rather old, has 4GB memory only and not-so-flash specs. Any help to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

PS: after KDE and Cinnamon, Xfce seems to pale on the customisation and aesthetics side (imho)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint 19 Xfce Window Manager hangs

Post by Hoser Rob »

How many DEs do you have installed on that machine? Having more than one is NOT a good idea. If you have more than one you're better off doing a data backup and clean reinstall because having multiple DEs may be the problem.

And yes, Xfce looks and feels a bit 90s compared to Cinnamon and KDE. Some people like that. However, I installed Mint 18.2 KDE on my rather old laptop that had Xfce on it previously. KDE Plasma 5 takes VERY little more RAM. Frankly Xfce has become rather bloated since Xfce 4.12. I don't really consider it light weight any more.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
richyrich

Re: Mint 19 Xfce Window Manager hangs

Post by richyrich »

In the Desktop Settings program, do you still have it set to Xfwm4 + Compositing ?
daisyb

[SOLVED] Re: Mint 19 Xfce Window Manager hangs

Post by daisyb »

Thanks for the replies.
Yes, Xfwm4 + Compositing still exists in Desktop Settings.

Good news...

Code: Select all

xfwm4 --replace
did the trick. Freed up both Window Manager and Window Manager Tweak
daisyb

[SOLVED] Re: Mint 19 Xfce Window Manager hangs

Post by daisyb »

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:25 am How many DEs do you have installed on that machine? Having more than one is NOT a good idea. If you have more than one you're better off doing a data backup and clean reinstall because having multiple DEs may be the problem.

And yes, Xfce looks and feels a bit 90s compared to Cinnamon and KDE. Some people like that. However, I installed Mint 18.2 KDE on my rather old laptop that had Xfce on it previously. KDE Plasma 5 takes VERY little more RAM. Frankly Xfce has become rather bloated since Xfce 4.12. I don't really consider it light weight any more.
Reply to 1st para: Only have one clean install Xfce.

2nd para: If its just as bloated as Cinnamon, perhaps it makes no difference whether i run Cinnamon or Xfce then? However, another contributing factor for abandoning Cinnamon was that I started to have huge problems booting up. Came to a point where it was booting up constantly in emergency mode and I didn't know how to handle that. I ended up nuking the machine to fresh install Xfce :(

Return to “Xfce”