Large Mouse Cursors isn't persistant

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pstrbrc
Level 1
Level 1

Large Mouse Cursors isn't persistant

Post by pstrbrc »

Mint 19 XFCE, new install. Was running 18.3 XFCE previously. Had a couple buggy problems develop over time so solved it by just doing a clean install, upgraded while I was at it. This problem existed w/18.3 and I'm now fighting with it in 19, so it's obviously something I'm doing wrong.
Problem: I'm somewhat visually impaired, so large screen+sit close. I have "floaties" in my eyes, so seeing a specific small moving object among other small moving objects is a challenge, so I want the biggest mouse pointer/cursor possible. A search brought me to https://www.faqforge.com/linux/how-to-a ... inux-mint/ and I downloaded https://www.gnome-look.org/p/999574/ and followed the instructions to save the unzipped folder in usr/share/icons/. I did rename the folder [Large-Mouse-Cursors] just to get rid of the spaces. So far so good. The option shows up in Settings Manager/Mouse and Touchpad/Themes. So I select it. Boom. Big freaking cursor. Happiness. But...
Next boot, mouse pointer is only large in an open window. Blank desktop, back to default. So I open Settings Manager/Mouse and Touchpad/Themes. Large-Mouse-Cursors is there, and highlighted, as if it's selected. I click on [default], then [Large-Mouse-Cursors], and the pointer becomes Large Mouse Cursor all the time. But I have to do this at every boot, and it just doesn't make sense. What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Large Mouse Cursors isn't persistant

Post by richyrich »

Did you try it without renaming the folder ?
pstrbrc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pstrbrc »

Here's what I've tried:
1. renaming the folder its original name. Reboot. Same behaviour.
2. delete the file in usr/share/icons/, redownload the .tar.bz2 package, unzip it, and install the fresh unmolested folder into usr/share/icons/, reboot. Same behaviour,
3. Download a random cursor package, unzip and install. Reboot. Same behaviour.

So, is this just a "feature' of Mint Xfce?
slavko
Level 2
Level 2

Post by slavko »

Sorry for being late – I don't have time to come here every day. I hope you didn't gave up.

But I understand you, I have my own "visual issues" and I'm very happy we have "show mouse location" feature now.

What you have described is a long-time-known Xfce behaviour. As a workaround, you can do this:
1. Open Terminal
2. Type:

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
3. You will see the list of installed pointer themes. Select the number corresponding to the theme of your choice.
4. Reboot.

(It doesn't matter if the folder is renamed.)

Return to “Xfce”