My panel keeps disappearing.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

My panel keeps disappearing.

Post by EdB »

New install Mint19 Xfce. New as in two days old.

Several times now, I have lost my panel. It either just goes away, or else does not appear when I restart. I have moved the mouse around, tried various tricks that I can think of but get no response. It is just flat-out not there. All the other desktop icons are still there and are available.

So I do all that I know to do, which is CtlAltDel to log out then reboot, and when the system comes back up, the panel is there. So far. But needless to say, I do not feel secure.

Why? What is causing this? Is there a command I can invoke from the terminal to reset the desktop or something?

(I hope it is okay to cross-post this to the noob forum)

Ed
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: My panel keeps disappearing.

Post by xenopeek »

Have you customized the panel, like added any applets or configured things like auto-hide?

xfce4-panel -r will restart a running panel instance. You might try that next time it happens.

When it happens you could try running grep xfce4-panel ~/.xsession-errors to see if it logged any errors.
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EdB »

I have added a few things - a couple of things from "Add new items" along with "Add to Panel" for some of the apps, plus moving a few things around. But nothing fancy, no auto-hide, resizeing, repositioning, etc.

The grep command you suggest did not give any results.

Thanks for the command to restart the panel. I will try that next time this happens (assuming it will happen).
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Is it possible it keeps disappearing because you're in fullscreen mode? F11 should get you back to normal if that's the case.
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EdB »

MrEen wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:01 pm Is it possible it keeps disappearing because you're in fullscreen mode? F11 should get you back to normal if that's the case.
Fullscreen? Not to my knowledge. This is the first I have heard of this. What does it do (since I assume fullscreen is the default)?

[EDIT] Okay, I see. If a window if full-screen, you can toggle the panel with F11. So no, I do not think that is happening here, because nothing is in full screen. I'll keep it in mind though. Thanks.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

EdB wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:15 pm
MrEen wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:01 pm Is it possible it keeps disappearing because you're in fullscreen mode? F11 should get you back to normal if that's the case.
Fullscreen? Not to my knowledge. This is the first I have heard of this. What does it do (since I assume fullscreen is the default)?

[EDIT] Okay, I see. If a window if full-screen, you can toggle the panel with F11. So no, I do not think that is happening here, because nothing is in full screen. I'll keep it in mind though. Thanks.
I wouldn't think that'd be a factor if you cannot even see your panel on the desktop, itself (no applications running or, if so, all of them are minimized).

By the way, is it only one panel disappearing? How many do you have? If only the one, try adding a second (even if only temporarily) to see if, when you encounter the issue again, it is still just the one panel that's being affected or all of them.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

Re: My panel keeps disappearing. [UPDATED]

Post by EdB »

MtnDewManiac wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:05 pm By the way, is it only one panel disappearing? How many do you have? If only the one, try adding a second (even if only temporarily) to see if, when you encounter the issue again, it is still just the one panel that's being affected or all of them.

Regards,
MDM
Thanks. I have created another on with just a DateTime on it and will see how it behaves. I am still seeing the primary panel disappearing sometimes, but having the panel launcher on the desktop now, it is basically just a nuisance. The launcher creates the missing panel, but the icons do not get arranged properly unless I log off and then log back on.

Another strange issue is that, when the panel does not get created and I open up desktop launchers, the launchers (i.e., Thunar, terminal, etc) always open up in the upper left corner and do not have any buttons visible for closing or resizing. That is why I have to log off and back on to get my desktop back.

[UPDATE] Well, I just tested a reboot, and both panels were gone. I activated the panel launcher and both returned. And as before, I had to log off and back on to get my icons back arranged as before.

Ed
Last edited by EdB on Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

My uneducated guess is something is up with the Window Manager when this is happening. Did you install a different WM to replace Xfwm4?
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EdB »

MrEen wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:24 pm My uneducated guess is something is up with the Window Manager when this is happening. Did you install a different WM to replace Xfwm4?
I have my Window Manager set as Metacity + Compositing, Style Clearlooks, Icons Humanity-Dark, I think those are all pretty benign selections.

Ed
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Well, one change I made to my Xfce right after install was to go to Menu > Settings > Desktop Settings and change the drop down to just Xfwm4

I honestly don't know if that will make any difference in your case or not.

I got that info from forum member Pjotr's site here: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ts-in-Xfce

Return to “Xfce”