Shortcuts and trashbin

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
satsriakal
Level 3
Level 3

Shortcuts and trashbin

Post by satsriakal »

Hi to everybody,

(Linux Mint 18)
I verified that I can't create shortcuts for files or folders who includes space characters in the name. What can I do in order to solve this problem?

Besides, when I try to delete files in D: partition of the harddisk, I get the message: Impossible to find trashbin. Therefore I have to permanently delete the file.
Is there anything I can do?

Best regards
Beppe
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Shortcuts and trashbin

Post by kc1di »

I've never had a problem with Thunar in this regard but you may want to try another file manager and see if it still does the same. I like pcmanfm. Good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
satsriakal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by satsriakal »

I think the problem it's not with Thunar, but with Xfce terminal.
Besides, I verified that I have the same prompt delayed with Xterm and UXterm as well.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

satsriakal wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:08 am Hi to everybody,

(Linux Mint 18)
I verified that I can't create shortcuts for files or folders who includes space characters in the name. What can I do in order to solve this problem?

Besides, when I try to delete files in D: partition of the harddisk, I get the message: Impossible to find trashbin. Therefore I have to permanently delete the file.

Best regards
Beppe
Hmm...when I had 18.3, I didn't have the problem with shortcuts as you do.

When you say the D: partition, which disk is that in Mint terms (sda, sdb, sdc?)

Can you post the result of this command from Terminal (please enclose the result in between [code][/code] tags:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
satsriakal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by satsriakal »

System:    Host: pelagos Kernel: 4.4.0-133-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0) Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.28)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Machine:   System: TOSHIBA product: PORTEGE R600 v: PPR61E-01G00EIT
           Mobo: TOSHIBA model: Portable PC v: Version A0 Bios: TOSHIBA v: Version 3.20 date: 09/21/2010
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo U9400 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 5585
           clock speeds: max: 1401 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1200 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x1024@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-133-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: cf80 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: enp0s25 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel WiFi Link 5100 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: wlp1s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (43.6% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_850 size: 500.1GB temp: 0C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 50G used: 15G (32%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3
           ID-2: /home size: 50G used: 22G (46%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 6.18GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 25.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 192 Uptime: 33 min Memory: 1799.5/2809.7MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 

gm10

Post by gm10 »

satsriakal wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:08 am Besides, when I try to delete files in D: partition of the harddisk, I get the message: Impossible to find trashbin. Therefore I have to permanently delete the file.
gm10 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:08 pm Try this in a terminal window:

cd /path/to/other/partition/mountpoint/
sudo mkdir -p .Trash-$UID;sudo chown $USER:$USER .Trash-$UID
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

You can create directories, files, and "shortcuts" with spaces in the name in terminal using either of 2 methods.

either encapsulate the name:

mkdir "SoM3 N4mE"                                                     (create directory: "SoM3 N4mE")
touch "a file name with spaces"                                        (create file: "a file name with spaces")
ln -s "SoM3 N4mE" Clean-Name                                           (create link "Clean-Name" to "SoM3 N4mE")
or "escape" the space character(using backslash):

mkdir names\ are\ c**l                                                (create directory: "names are c**l")
touch A\ File\ with-spaces                                             (create file: "A File with-spaces")
ln -s A\ File\ with-spaces O\ M\ G\ -\ inameit                       (create link "O M G - inameit" to "A File with-spaces")
or even mix it:

ln -s "A File with-spaces" O\ M\ G\ -\ inameit
not sure if that's what the issue was.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

satsriakal wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:08 am (Linux Mint 18)
The terminal is a bit problematic with blank characters in the name of folders and files.
The representation of the blank characters varies according to the language and locality.
It is recommended to create the "shortcuts" through the graphical interface.

For "shortcuts" for programs, use "create launcher" (left figure).
For "shortcuts" for folders and files, use "create link to url" (right figure).
https://i.imgur.com/P4ixNEu.png

Return to “Xfce”