LM 19 Xfce whisker menu issue??

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
k-314

LM 19 Xfce whisker menu issue??

Post by k-314 »

I think, I found an issue in whisker menu with LM 19 Xfce. But I am not sure ...

Maybe someone here could check that.

On LM 18.3 I used to put my own starters (arduino IDE, cutecom etc.) in folder "OTHER". No problem.

But with LM 19, there seems to be a problem.

I do a right click on whisker menu icon in the launcher and menulibre opens. Then I move (as an example) the midnight commander starter into folder "OTHER", close menulibre, open whisker and ... nothing. No folder "OTHER". reopening menulibre, no starter for midnight commander in folder "OTHER". Strange.

Moving the starter midnight commander to folder "GRAPHICS" for instance - works.

Tested that on my desktop and on LM 19 in a vbox.

Last week I posted that in https://www.linuxmintusers.de/index.ph ... #msg713533, but no one seems to be interested or seems to care.

So I opened a issue in https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14905

But I am not sure, if that's really an issue, if that has to do with whisker or maybe I am seeing things wrong.

In the bug report I added some pictures, of what I have been doing. Might help to understand.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: LM 19 Xfce whisker menu issue??

Post by zcot »

"Other" is hidden by default.

Try this:

Go into MenuLibre.

Click the "Other" folder.

Uncheck "Hide from menus".

cheers!
k-314

Post by k-314 »

Would be nice, if that was easy like that .... :wink:

Do you have LM 19 Xfce running? Did you check?
zcot wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:39 am "Other" is hidden by default.

Try this:

Go into MenuLibre.

Click the "Other" folder.

Uncheck "Hide from menus".

cheers!
Here "Other" is NOT hidden by default.

That is show "GRAPHICS"
Bildschirmfoto_2018-11-26_15-11-09.png
and that is hide "GRAPHICS"
Bildschirmfoto_2018-11-26_15-12-08.png
And the folder "OTHER" comes like this
Bildschirmfoto_2018-11-26_15-12-35.png
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi k-314.

I could never figure out how to use menulibre, so here is how I work with the whisker menu.

1. Create a launcher (test.desktop) with the following content:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Test         <--------------- this is the name you want to appear in the menu
Exec=/home/scott/Apps/waterfox/waterfox <----the path to the executable
Icon=/home/scott/Apps/waterfox/browser/icons/mozicon128.png  <---the path to the icon you want in the menu 
Categories=Other <----------------The menu category (I had Network;Internet for Waterfox)
2. Place that .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications

3. Open the menu and marvel at your awesomeness.

For the sake of clarity, you should name the file for the app (such as midnight-commander.desktop.)

Hope that helps.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Hi k-314, yep, I do see it now.

Evidently a custom file I had added previously had brought the "Other" category within view. And after that case, it does become functional with the "Hide from menus" checkbox.

Anyway, I went digging, here's what I found.

The design is that the Other category has a bunch of extraneous programs that aren't going to be useful in a typical menu situation. And so that category is designed with the "OnlyUnallocated" element, which means the items will only be shown if they are considered unallocated after passing through the whole menu tree first, and they are unaccounted for. And so if you create a file that is already accounted for in some other menu then it is considered allocated and will not be shown in this Other category.

You can check the jargon here, look for "OnlyUnallocated": https://specifications.freedesktop.org/ ... le-doctype

And I found that menu structure here: /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu

And, as MrEen mentioned, /home/$USERNAME/.local/share/applications will hold it.

Additionally if you add to the file, this should at least control the launch item itself anyway: NoDisplay=false
k-314

Post by k-314 »

Thank you for having a look.

For sure, there are workarounds. But I think, there is a bug there, which was not there under LM 18.3.

Did a short test with Xubuntu 18.04.1 and behavior is the same.

So it is not an LM thing, probably not a whisker either.

It was easier with DEBIAN, if you found something, the DEBIAN people would look into it.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

k-314 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:09 am I do a right click on whisker menu icon in the launcher and menulibre opens. Then I move (as an example) the midnight commander starter into folder "OTHER", close menulibre, open whisker and ... nothing. No folder "OTHER". reopening menulibre, no starter for midnight commander in folder "OTHER". Strange.
Or there is a bug in the "menulibre" or there is some inconsistency in the launcher.
If there is an inconsistency in the launcher, it will not be created in the menu.
Please check if in the folder "/home/your_username/.local/share/applications/" if there is a name icon similar to "menulibre-name_of_shotcut_for_software.desktop" lost there.
If so, open it with a text editor and note the text in it. For example:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=New Editor
Comment=Sample text edictor
Icon=application-default-icon
Exec=xfwrite
NoDisplay=false
Categories=Other
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false

Important:
Type=Application
Exec=Sometimes you need to specify the full path
NoDisplay=false
Categories=Other
Terminal = according to program type, false or true

Any inconsistency the desktop file will be created but it will not appear in the menu.

Make sure to move it to the "Other" folder in the "menulibre" if it is marked to appear in the menu.

Do not forget to save changes before closing "menulibre".

In case of inconsistency you can delete the respective desktop file in the folder "/home/your_username/.local/share/applications/".
Be careful not to delete the wrong file.

Return to “Xfce”