[SOLVED] Where's the screen-saver in LM19 xfce?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Where's the screen-saver in LM19 xfce?

Post by mingle »

Hi Guys,

I've just been trying to figure out how to set the screen-saver in LM19.0 xfce to display all of those nifty graphical 'toys' when it's activated, however I can't sem to find it, despite much googling and hunting around.

I previous used LM 18 and the screen saver was there and the various screen-savers were configurable - I assume this is gone in LM19?

What do I need to install to get it back?

Cheers,

Mike.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Where's the screen-saver in LM19 xfce?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Mike.

You use Linux Mint 19 xfce.
Therefore I assume that what has been announced as a new feature way back for Linux Mint 18.2 xfce still applies to Linux Mint 19 as well:
New features in Linux Mint 18.2 Xfce - Section about LightDM wrote:In this release, the Slick greeter is also used as a lock screen and it replaces xscreensaver.
This means, the screen saver application xscreensaver, which was the default screensaver on Linux Mint xfce up to and including Linux Mint 18.1, has been replaced in Linux Mint 18.2 xfce and above by light-locker.
In effect, xfce4-power-management will blank the screen after the configured inactivity timeout. No fancy screensaver pictures will be painted on the screen. Instead the screen will be blanked only. Once you press a key or move the mouse, light-locker will kick in and make sure that the Slick-Greeter (unlock) screen will be displayed.

In order to return to xscreensaver, you would have to
+ install the xscreensaver software packages from the official software repositories
+ disable light-locker in your Startup Applications
+ create a new Startup Application entry, which invokes "xscreensaver -no-splash"
+ log off from the xfce DE and log back in.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Where's the screen-saver in LM19 xfce?

Post by mingle »

Thanks Karl, makes perfect sense!

Cheers,

Mike.

Return to “Xfce”