Menu session button only shows logout

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
swdick

Menu session button only shows logout

Post by swdick »

I have Mint Xfce installed on my Asrock ION 3D.
When I want to shut off and open the menu the shut off button (top right in the menu) only shows the option to logout.
Right clicking does nothing. Left clicking logs out (?) and I have to shut off from there.
How can I get this menu button to show the options to Restart, shut off, and logout?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
arnad
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Menu session button only shows logout

Post by arnad »

The action for the logout button is set in the properties of the Whiskers Menu

Open the context menu of the menu (click with the secondary mouse button on the menu) and select Properties. Switch to the Commands tab. In Log Out it should say "xfce4-session-logout", which should open the logout dialog. If you want to shut down directly, enter "xfce4-session-logout --halt" (see https://askubuntu.com/a/771187 and http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/tru ... out.1.html for more options).
swdick

Post by swdick »

Thanks, After entering the --halt the button still only logs out. Now at startup I have to start a new session.
arnad
Level 2
Level 2

Post by arnad »

swdick wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:05 am Thanks, After entering the --halt the button still only logs out. Now at startup I have to start a new session.
Try to open a Terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t or from the start menu) and enter "xfce4-session-logout" manually. What does that result in?

If you want the button to simply shut down you could obviously also enter "shutdown now" in the Commands tab.
swdick

Post by swdick »

I wonder whether the --halt instruction is just ending the session?
The links you posted suggest this and it is indeed what happens.
However I want the button to shut down the computer completely.
arnad
Level 2
Level 2

Post by arnad »

swdick wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:14 pm I wonder whether the --halt instruction is just ending the session?
The links you posted suggest this and it is indeed what happens.
However I want the button to shut down the computer completely.
The links describe the --halt option to, well, halt. If I open a terminal on my system (Linux Mint 18.1 XFCE) and enter xfce4-session-logout --halt, the notebook shuts down while saving the open programs (although not non-saved content).

What happens if you try this command in a terminal? What about xfce4-session-logout --fast, which should shut down the notebook without saving the session?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi swdick.

One possibility I can think of for your scenario is you have another user logged in. If you logged in as User1 then switched to User2, User2 can't shut down until User1 logs out.

I could be wrong about that, but it makes sense to me.
arnad
Level 2
Level 2

Post by arnad »

MrEen wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:01 am One possibility I can think of for your scenario is you have another user logged in. If you logged in as User1 then switched to User2, User2 can't shut down until User1 logs out.
I quickly tested this, but at least I can halt the system even if another user is logged in.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

arnad wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:41 am
MrEen wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:01 am One possibility I can think of for your scenario is you have another user logged in. If you logged in as User1 then switched to User2, User2 can't shut down until User1 logs out.
I quickly tested this, but at least I can halt the system even if another user is logged in.
Yes, but the OP is only getting the Logout option when trying to shutdown via the Menu. No Restart, no Shutdown, no Suspend, no Hibernate. I don't really think my original post may have anything to do with this now either.

I saw a post by smurphos about removing then adding back the Menu for someone that lost their Shutdown option. That may work here, but I had an issue once where my Menu was the original Whisker menu, not the Mint branded one, so I'm hesitant to give instructions on trying that.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I think I found it.

Click Menu > Settings > Session and Startup and make sure the box for Prompt on logout is checked.

Return to “Xfce”