[solved] timeout

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
perbh

[solved] timeout

Post by perbh »

linuxmint-19.1, xfce, 64-bit:
After some 3-5 mins of inactivity (I haven't timed it exactly) I need to supply my passwd again. Is there _any_ way I can set this to infinite? (ie. once logged in, I stay logged in).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: timeout

Post by ajgringo619 »

Check your display power management settings (Settings --> Power Manager --> Display tab).
perbh

Post by perbh »

Sorry for the late reply (been otherwise engaged), but that didn't work at all (though I had never seen that particular menu before - we all live and learn).
I agree that it most probably have to do with the xfce-management somehow, but I'm darned if I can find out where. I have been grepping all of /etc for '*.log*.timeout', but no luck. Actually, it is not that I just have to retype my passwd, I am actually logged out :-(
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi perbh.

Did you notice that there are multiple tabs on the XFCE Power Manager window? On the first tab, I have everything set to "Do nothing" and the next 2 tabs I have set all sliders to "Never".

There are also some timeout programs, but I doubt you installed any unknowingly.
WetGeek

Post by WetGeek »

I'm running Mint 19.1 XFCE and have the same problem. It's not usually an issue with my laptop, but on the multimedia server connected to our smart TV it's maddening. I have to type my password multiple times to get through a movie like "Return of the King." I've likewise done everything I can in the Power Manager to shut off any timeouts, and turned off LightLocker. Nothing seems to help.
WetGeek

Post by WetGeek »

I think I have the answer now. On the 4th (Security) tab of the Power Manager is a setting "Automatically lock the session", with choices of "when the screen saver is activated," "when the screensaver is deactivated," and "never." Since I'd already turned OFF the screen saver, I thought that setting was irrelevant, so I hadn't changed it. Last night I set it to "never," and the session was still active this morning. Now I'm going to experiment to see whether all the other settings can be returned to their default conditions. I suspect that this "Security" tab setting may be the only one that matters. I hope this helps.
perbh

Post by perbh »

Ahhh - now that is something that makes perfect sense to me. Trying it just now - will let yall know how it turns out.
perbh

Post by perbh »

Yay!!!!! :-) !!!
I am now past the time when I would've been logged out - and I'm still logged in.
Problem solved!!
Thank you! (ever so much)!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

That's a little weird to me. Mine is set to When the screensaver is activated, but with the other tabs set to never, mine doesn't lock me out.

Maybe a difference between my 18.3 and 19.x?

Anyway, glad you got it sorted! :D

Return to “Xfce”