Does anyone here know how to change the task bar to be like a Mac?/

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheNevermind

Does anyone here know how to change the task bar to be like a Mac?/

Post by TheNevermind »

I have looked around and still can't do it. I have the latest version. If you could explain it as simply as possible it would be appreciated
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
corkie
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Does anyone here know how to change the task bar to be like a Mac?/

Post by corkie »

I assume you have a lap/desktop. That black strip across the bottom of the screen is called a panel in xfce and you can have several of them. If you right click on the blank part of this panel a little menu will pop up. The bottom item should be 'panel'. Click on that and then 'panel preferences' In the sub menu. This will give you a window with three tabs where you can change lots of things. You can create new panels here and drag them around the screen. You can add and delete panel items. Be careful. If there isn't much to add try installing xfce-goodies. On my system (mint 19) the goodies were all present.
philotux

Post by philotux »

As a follow up to @corkie's post, I always move the "standard" panel to the top of the screen and install plank onto which I dock the apps that I want at the bottom. There are some other docks as well like Latte, Docky etc. Have a look at: 8 MacOS Like Docks for Ubuntu
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

The Mac OS doesn't have a taskbar - and never has.
Mac systems - since System 6 probably - has a menu line (with the amazing apple menu in earlier systems...) and since OSX (without a reasonable apple menu) the dock.

If the Mac doesn't run "any" program, you're in the Finder - that's a difference to Windows or Linux, where you have to explicitly select a "file manager".
mint4all
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mint4all »

TheNevermind wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:08 pm I have looked around and still can't do it. I have the latest version. If you could explain it as simply as possible it would be appreciated
Greetings! Rest assured, you're not alone in your quest for a mac-lookalike setup. Here's a write-up of what someone else has come up with, @ https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/xfc ... -menu.html ... Though a fairly recent article, i'd caution you to be careful with installing any of those docks / plancks / navigator add-ons: ime, they can make/leave a real mess of your DE. Make sure you have a good system backup, too, including your /home volume / folder, just in case you have to revert to your current configuration.

Good luck!

Return to “Xfce”