Sticky windows shadows with xfwm4+compositing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Girafenaine

Sticky windows shadows with xfwm4+compositing

Post by Girafenaine »

Hello LM community,

I use a (very good) LM19 install on my macbook 5.1.

I have xfwm4+compositing enabled as desktop parameters. I want to use transparency (for windows decorations, and dock, and unactive windows), but no shadows.

I saw that even with unticked "normal window shadows" box, there are shadows around my windows. The others boxes do make their planned effects (transparency works, docks shadows can be enabled or unabled, etc.), but this one does not.

Does anyone encounter the same issue ? Is there a bug or something to do to unabled these shadows ?

Girafenaine
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fblais
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Sticky windows shadows with xfwm4+compositing

Post by fblais »

Maybe you could use Compton for compositing instead of xfwm's own.
Be sure to install compton-conf as well to be able to fine-tune it as needed.
--
Ce message provient du Québec! :)
secureIT
Level 4
Level 4

Post by secureIT »

Had this issue with sticky shadow around cairo-dock.

With the settings below they are gone :

Untick both : "Show shadows under normal windows" and "Show shadows under bars" .
Girafenaine

Post by Girafenaine »

Hello,

Thanks for your help and sorry for being late.

All the "shadows" boxes are unticked in my parameters setting page, and "compositer" let shadows haunt each of my windows

I have tried with compton instead of compositor (xfwm4+compton as desktop setting). Thanks to fblais and after installing "compton.conf" from the synaptic package manager, I could make these shadows disappear : thanks ! However, it seems the display is slower, more sluggish that with "xfwm4+compositer". I will try for a few days and have a look at compton ressources usage.

Girafenaine

Return to “Xfce”