Why Xfce desktop doesn't refresh after update?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mire000

Re: Why Xfce desktop doesn't refresh after update?

Post by mire000 »

Crippled wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:03 pm I don't know. That's above my knowledge. I am wondering if you have two applications conflicting with each other because of the way Xfce is acting. Or you have an incompatible application. Has it been giving trouble since day one?
Yes, from day one. This is fresh Linux Mint installation.

Do you see animation when you start some large application? Maybe it's only me.

I can live without this, Xfce is fast and good, i dont have other problems, but would be good to be able to fix that.

I don't know is Mate same on Cpu usage as Xfce?
Crippled

Post by Crippled »

mire000 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:57 pm
Crippled wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:03 pm I don't know. That's above my knowledge. I am wondering if you have two applications conflicting with each other because of the way Xfce is acting. Or you have an incompatible application. Has it been giving trouble since day one?
Yes, from day one. This is fresh Linux Mint installation.

Do you see animation when you start some large application? Maybe it's only me.

I can live without this, Xfce is fast and good, i dont have other problems, but would be good to be able to fix that.

I don't know is Mate same on Cpu usage as Xfce?
No, I don't see any animation when I start any application. The only thing I will see is the start up slash screen like for LibreOffice. Sounds like you have Compiz. Do you have Compiz installed?
mire000

Post by mire000 »

Crippled wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:38 pm No, I don't see any animation when I start any application. The only thing I will see is the start up slash screen like for LibreOffice. Sounds like you have Compiz. Do you have Compiz installed?
Compiz come preinstalled with Linux mint, yes i have.
Crippled

Post by Crippled »

mire000 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:05 am
Crippled wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:38 pm No, I don't see any animation when I start any application. The only thing I will see is the start up slash screen like for LibreOffice. Sounds like you have Compiz. Do you have Compiz installed?
Compiz come preinstalled with Linux mint, yes i have.
Turn everything off in Compiz because it's Compiz doing that.
mire000

Post by mire000 »

Crippled wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:53 am Turn everything off in Compiz because it's Compiz doing that.
Maybe, it is possible, but i dont use compiz.. I will try to remove compiz completly and see if that helps..

EDIT: Doesn't help.

This is some bug in xfce desktop manager. i hope they will fix this in next ver.
mire000

Post by mire000 »

Ok i found solution for the first problem.

The majority of time i will "double click" on icon to launch application, and the cursor activity (mouse loading/busy icon) will show.
But after some time using my comp., this suddenly stop working.

What i done is - in desktop settings i was check - "single click to activate items".
And from now on "mouse loading/busy icon" didn't stop working..

For my second problem - thumbnails, i didn't find solution yet. Thumbnails just won't show always on desktop (after copy-paste), so i must manualy refresh desktop to show them.
Last edited by mire000 on Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crippled

Post by Crippled »

It's good to see you worked out a solution to your program loading issue. It's strange that making sure you have Tumbler, Tumbler-plugins-extra, and ffmegthumbnailer that thumbnails don't show from copy and paste. On mine it shows right away. The only issue with thumbnails that I am experiencing on Linux mint is when after booting up and opening any of the following the first time. Pictures or Videos or any other folder with lots of pictures or videos is it takes a very very long time for them to show up which I haven't experienced on non-systemD distros which makes me think that systemD is at fault. Once the thumnailer appear they show up quickly if I reopen any of those folders.
mire000

Post by mire000 »

Crippled wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:56 am It's good to see you worked out a solution to your program loading issue. It's strange that making sure you have Tumbler, Tumbler-plugins-extra, and ffmegthumbnailer that thumbnails don't show from copy and paste. On mine it shows right away. The only issue with thumbnails that I am experiencing on Linux mint is when after booting up and opening any of the following the first time. Pictures or Videos or any other folder with lots of pictures or videos is it takes a very very long time for them to show up which I haven't experienced on non-systemD distros which makes me think that systemD is at fault. Once the thumnailer appear they show up quickly if I reopen any of those folders.
Please try this, it wont take you much time:

Go to desktop, right click>create document>empty file
Now right click on that empty file>properties>emblems
Add some emblem to that file.

If emblem doesn't shows instantly as thumbnail next to icon, but shows in file explorer, it means that problem is in "xfdesktop".

On my comp., emblem shows, but after delay of 50 sec.
Crippled

Post by Crippled »

mire000 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:11 am
Crippled wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:56 am It's good to see you worked out a solution to your program loading issue. It's strange that making sure you have Tumbler, Tumbler-plugins-extra, and ffmegthumbnailer that thumbnails don't show from copy and paste. On mine it shows right away. The only issue with thumbnails that I am experiencing on Linux mint is when after booting up and opening any of the following the first time. Pictures or Videos or any other folder with lots of pictures or videos is it takes a very very long time for them to show up which I haven't experienced on non-systemD distros which makes me think that systemD is at fault. Once the thumnailer appear they show up quickly if I reopen any of those folders.

If emblem doesn't shows instantly as thumbnail next to icon, but shows in file explorer, it means that problem is in "xfdesktop".

The icon appears right away when I add a folder. I never used emblems before. I try to put a check in one but no matter how many times I click on it there is no check in the box.
mire000

Post by mire000 »

Crippled wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:26 am The icon appears right away when I add a folder. I never used emblems before. I try to put a check in one but no matter how many times I click on it there is no check in the box.
You saying me that you can't select emblem at all, or emblem doesn't appear on desktop icon?
Emblem should appear on dektop icon.
Crippled

Post by Crippled »

mire000 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:31 am
Crippled wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:26 am
mire000 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:11 am

The icon appears right away when I add a folder. I never used emblems before. I try to put a check in one but no matter how many times I click on it there is no check in the box.
You saying me that you can't select emblem at all, or emblem doesn't appear on desktop icon?
Emblem should appear on dektop icon.
It won't let me select an emblem.
mire000

Post by mire000 »

Crippled wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:32 am It won't let me select an emblem.
I can select. Ok, this is realy strange.
Crippled

Post by Crippled »

mire000 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:34 am
Crippled wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:32 am It won't let me select an emblem.
I can select. Ok, this is realy strange.
I am getting the impression that Linux mint is a strange distro because we both have Linux mint 19.1 Xfce 64-bit edition and Tumbler was in yours but not in mine. Xfce is operating differently for both of us. It's like when the Linux mint installer installs, it doesn't do the same thing for everyone. I did a checksum on mine and it all checked out. Did you do a checksum on your download of Linux mint?
mire000

Post by mire000 »

Crippled wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:41 am
I am getting the impression that Linux mint is a strange distro because we both have Linux mint 19.1 Xfce 64-bit edition and Tumbler was in yours but not in mine. Xfce is operating differently for both of us. It's like when the Linux mint installer installs, it doesn't do the same thing for everyone. I did a checksum on mine and it all checked out. Did you do a checksum on your download of Linux mint?
i didn't do checksum? How to do that? I downloaded from here: https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=265
I downloaded before 10 days.

You think there can be fake or customized distros?
Crippled

Post by Crippled »

Here. https://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint ... 256sum.txt Right click on the Linux mint ISO you downloaded and select CheckSHA256. Compare that with the checksum with the correct version in that link.
mire000

Post by mire000 »

Crippled wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:04 am Here. https://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint ... 256sum.txt Right click on the Linux mint ISO you downloaded and select CheckSHA256. Compare that with the checksum with the correct version in that link.
I can't pull unchanged ISO from DVD, so how to check then? It's already unpacked on DVD.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Crippled wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:26 am The icon appears right away when I add a folder. I never used emblems before. I try to put a check in one but no matter how many times I click on it there is no check in the box.
I just tested this. Same not showing as you had. I left it alone and did some other stuff and when I came back, the check was there. It was probably less than a minute, certainly less than two, that the emblem showed. Will now try by staring at it while timing! :shock:

EDIT: 61 seconds after applying, the emblem appeared.
Crippled

Post by Crippled »

mire000 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:35 am
Crippled wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:04 am Here. https://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint ... 256sum.txt Right click on the Linux mint ISO you downloaded and select CheckSHA256. Compare that with the checksum with the correct version in that link.
I can't pull unchanged ISO from DVD, so how to check then? It's already unpacked on DVD.
You can't then because it's too late. You need the original ISO to check the checksum. The reason for the checksum is to verify that you received a clean copy and not one that has garbage injected into it.
Crippled

Post by Crippled »

MrEen wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:49 am
I just tested this. Same not showing as you had. I left it alone and did some other stuff and when I came back, the check was there. It was probably less than a minute, certainly less than two, that the emblem showed. Will now try by staring at it while timing! :shock:

EDIT: 61 seconds after applying, the emblem appeared.
O.K. Cool.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

@mire000 can you try this and see what output you get.

Open a terminal, run the command below to quit xfdesktop and relaunch it in debug mode. Keep the terminal window open and visible. Copy a picture to your desktop and then monitor that terminal window for any new entries until the thumbnail appears

Code: Select all

xfdesktop --quit && xfdesktop -e
Thumbnails are instantaneous my end - sample output on pasting a pic to the desktop.

DBG[xfdesktop-file-icon-manager.c:2739] xfdesktop_file_icon_manager_file_changed(): got created event
DBG[xfdesktop-file-icon-manager.c:2279] xfdesktop_file_icon_manager_add_icon(): icon '1491x1000_a8242655058386ada167ea82ea4e49ee62f0e48490b29b43d5965caafaf2a253.jpg' didn't have a previous position
DBG[xfdesktop-file-icon-manager.c:2721] xfdesktop_file_icon_manager_file_changed(): got changed event
DBG[xfdesktop-file-icon-manager.c:2721] xfdesktop_file_icon_manager_file_changed(): got changed event
DBG[xfdesktop-icon-view.c:3842] xfdesktop_icon_view_icon_find_position(): old position didn't exist or isn't free, got (5,0) instead
DBG[xfdesktop-thumbnailer.c:566] xfdesktop_thumbnailer_thumbnail_ready_dbus(): thumbnail-ready src: /home/steve/Desktop/1491x1000_a8242655058386ada167ea82ea4e49ee62f0e48490b29b43d5965caafaf2a253.jpg thumbnail: /home/steve/.cache/thumbnails/large/8abddeb5385052ff1cf124dfe15414f0.png
DBG[xfdesktop-file-icon-manager.c:1968] xfdesktop_file_icon_manager_save_icons(): saving to: /home/steve/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0-1344x703.rc
Also try fixing any home folder file permissions that might be causing an issue

sudo chown -Rc $USER:$USER $HOME
I get the delayed application emblem changes as-well. Looking at the debug output nothing happens for a while and then you get a

DBG[xfdesktop-file-icon-manager.c:2871] xfdesktop_file_icon_manager_metadata_changed(): metadata file changed event
DBG[xfdesktop-file-icon-manager.c:2871] xfdesktop_file_icon_manager_metadata_changed(): metadata file changed event
I can get the change to take more quickly if I run touch ~/Desktop/what-ever-the-file-or-folder-name-is in a terminal immediately after applying the emblem, which changes the modifed date of the file/folder and triggers a desktop refresh but you shouldn't have to do this.

I can't see any relevant bug reports here -https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfdesktop4 or here https://bugzilla.xfce.org/buglist.cgi?b ... 2emblem%22
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Xfce”