Touchpad dies after suspend on Mint-xfce 19.1

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
venik212
Level 1
Level 1

Touchpad dies after suspend on Mint-xfce 19.1

Post by venik212 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:02 am

I am running Mint XFCE 19.1 (Kernel 5.0.0.17) on a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. The Synaptic touchpad is very jumpy, so I installed some more packages, following suggestions fished out with Google. Now the (still jumpy) touchpad is sometimes (but not always!) dead when the laptop comes back from suspend, requiring a reboot (logging out and back in is not enough). I cannot find out which packages I had installed-- the list in the update manager rings no bells, and there have been other updates since then, so I cannot go back to exactly where I was before. I went back to kernel 5.0.0.16, but that did not cure the problem.
I am not 100% sure that the culprit is the multitude of touchpad-related packages I had installed-- I see similar complaints going back for years.
Any suggestions?

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Touchpad dies after suspend on Mint-xfce 19.1

Post by carum carvi » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:49 pm

dirty touchpad

outdated drivers

outdated bios

use of an unknown powerchord, sold by a third party seller

Just a few suggestions.

What do you mean by saying that you googled and installed some packages?
venik212 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:02 am
I am running Mint XFCE 19.1 (Kernel 5.0.0.17) on a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. The Synaptic touchpad is very jumpy, so I installed some more packages, following suggestions fished out with Google. .

I am not 100% sure that the culprit is the multitude of touchpad-related packages I had installed-- I see similar complaints going back for years.
What kind of similar complaints did you see?

venik212
Level 1
Level 1

Post by venik212 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:49 am

None of your suggestions apply here-- the touchpad works perfectly in Windows 10 on the very same laptop (dual boot). If I log out, the touchpad works to move the cursor around UNTIL I type in my password, and then, once Mint is fully running, I have no touchad. It also works if I boot from a USB with Mint-XFCE. So I believe it points to a software issue.
I am almost sure that this problem is due to some conflict between various packages dealing with the touchpad which I had installed recently to tame the jumpy touchpad, but I do not know which ones I need to remove ;-(
I saw several complaints of the cursor freezing after suspend, which (I think) is the same (or related) complaint.

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:06 pm

The good news is that it indeed seems to be software related.

The bad news is that LinuxMint has got a long history of suspend problems with certain hardware. A mouse freezing after suspend is such an often heard problem. Tweaking network connections can help sometimes.

viewtopic.php?p=1506821#p1506821

If that doesnt work, is it possible to do a brand new install? The added packages might have made things worse...

LinuxMint Mate is known to have better hardware support than other editions of Mint. Trying LinuxMint 18.3 or 18.2 could be an option as well if you are experiencing contineous suspend problems. Sometimes changing back to an older LinuxMint OS can solve problems instantly.

venik212
Level 1
Level 1

Post by venik212 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:46 pm

My wife, who works in IT, is a firm believer in the notion that ALL UPDATES SHOULD BE AVOIDED, because more often than not, things get worse with updates. I, on the other hand, always live on the bleeding edge ;-)
I consider re-installation a major admission of defeat, and hate the extra work that it would require. Whenever I do that, I realize that there are some programs or settings that I did not back up, and I then spend hours on sites like this one.
So for now I shall live with the need to reboot every time my touchpad dies after suspend.

One might hope that, if the powers behind Mint know for a while that Mint has this issue, they could consider looking into it?

venik212
Level 1
Level 1

Post by venik212 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:17 am

I MAY have found the culprit. In my attempt to sedate the jumpy touchpad, I installed xserver-xorg-input-synaptics hwe-18.04, The problem showed up after that. I have now uninstalled it, and -- at least so far-- the laptop returns from suspension with no problem (although the touchpad is still jumpy.. ;-). I hope that was indeed the problem.

=============
Sadly, my glee over the "discovery" of the source of the problem was premature. I deserted kernel 5.23 in favor of the LTS 4.55, which worked fine for a few days, but now the same (death of touchpad after suspend) is happening again with increasing frequency. The touchpad actually works if I logout and use it to navigate, but once I log back in, and the windows/display-manager takes over, I get nothing from the touchpad-- when I run xev in the terminal, there is no response when I touch the touchpad.....

Having to reinstall an OS periodically to get around a bug is a strange way to live.
Last edited by venik212 on Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:34 am

That's great that you (probably) found the culprit regarding the suspense problem. Good detective work! Report back if it was too good to be true...

As far as the jumpy touchpad is concerned I cant help you with a straight solution. But if this problem keeps bugging you, you could post it again and ask a more experienced forummember to have a look at it. I am always amazed about the forummembers knowledge.

venik212
Level 1
Level 1

Post by venik212 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:38 am

Sadly, my glee over the "discovery" of the source of the problem was premature. I deserted kernel 5.23 in favor of the LTS 4.55, which worked fine for a few days, but now the same (death of touchpad after suspend) is happening again with increasing frequency. The touchpad actually works if I logout and use it to navigate, but once I log back in, and the windows/display-manager takes over, I get nothing from the touchpad-- when I run xev in the terminal, there is no response when I touch the touchpad.....

Having to reinstall an OS periodically to get around a bug is a strange way to live.

Return to “Xfce”