default stock XFCE DE

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Les-Xxn
Level 1
Level 1

default stock XFCE DE

Post by Les-Xxn » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:31 pm

So first off, I am a bit new to Linux. I am adept enough and can ALMOST figure things out. But not this and thus I need help. So please DO NOT laugh at me regarding anything...

Okay, first off, I installed Mint(19.1, Tessa)-XFCE. However, I prefer to configure my Desktop from Default Stock XFCE (See attached). This includes the taskbar panel at top and the dock-like thing below. I do prefer the mint wallpaper however.

*Attached image was from, https://itsfoss.com/customize-xfce/

I scoured the internet to find this answer but still failed. I still end up with the default mint-xfce desktop design.

Now I DO NOT want to remove any programs that keep mint functional. Meaning only remove the mint desktop customizations.

Also I prefer a programs stock icons thus NO custom icon sets.

Is there a way to do this? Can anybody please help me...

P.S. The only way I somewhat have figured out how to do this is to install Mint-Cinnamon the install XFCE as an additional desktop environment and save as default. I'm not sure if this would NOT bring in the mint XFCE desktop customizations. I still prefer the simplicity of starting from Mint-XFCE if possible.
Attachments
default-xfce-screen.jpg

Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: default stock XFCE DE

Post by Lord Boltar » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:46 pm

Right click in the middle of the taskbar and select Panel then Panel Preferences and uncheck the Lock Panel you can now move from bottom to top now recheck it the block, while in Panel Preferences now click on green + next to Panel 0 and add new Panel 1 should appear simply drag it to where you want then lock it and add whatever you want to it

Hope this helps
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing

deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:48 pm

Yes, see above.

I did the same thing once on Mint XFCE after having played around with Debian XFCE - but then decided I preferred using plank on the bottom rather than a second panel.

Getting the bottom panel together can be a bit fiddly but it's definitely doable. Once you know how to create a panel, centre it, adjust its size and add & move icons (applets?) you'll be well on your way!

Les-Xxn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Les-Xxn » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:31 pm

First off, thank you all for your replies and help.

In all honesty, those were NOT the answers I was expecting. I was able to figure unlocking the taskbar panels and moving it to the top and creating another panel below to create a dock early on.

I will admit that the answer I AM looking for is either a quick (whether graphical or terminal) way to remove mint desktop design customizations and the desktop screen would revert to the pictured default XFCE screen.

Also, what is the default icon theme for XFCE, again, I prefer stock icons for the programs or apps. ex stock Firefox icon as Mozilla designed it, stock VLC icon as how the developer envisioned - traffic cone and NO custom theme design... Stock mint-XFCE only has the ubuntu, mint and adwaita and the last one does not even have a trash icon...

However, still THANKS to everyone whose help I welcome wholeheartedly. I will still await for any further answers and if not then maybe I'll try the cinnamon-XFCE route. I believe that in my experimentation i might have removed some XFCE design related custom installs.

Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:07 pm

Les-Xxn wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:31 pm
First off, thank you all for your replies and help.

In all honesty, those were NOT the answers I was expecting. I was able to figure unlocking the taskbar panels and moving it to the top and creating another panel below to create a dock early on.

I will admit that the answer I AM looking for is either a quick (whether graphical or terminal) way to remove mint desktop design customizations and the desktop screen would revert to the pictured default XFCE screen.

Also, what is the default icon theme for XFCE, again, I prefer stock icons for the programs or apps. ex stock Firefox icon as Mozilla designed it, stock VLC icon as how the developer envisioned - traffic cone and NO custom theme design... Stock mint-XFCE only has the ubuntu, mint and adwaita and the last one does not even have a trash icon...

However, still THANKS to everyone whose help I welcome wholeheartedly. I will still await for any further answers and if not then maybe I'll try the cinnamon-XFCE route. I believe that in my experimentation i might have removed some XFCE design related custom installs.
Humanity is the default icon theme, personally I use Oxygen
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing

Crippled

Post by Crippled » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:06 pm

Look in the Software Manager for Gnome Brave icons.Once installed go to Settings > Appearance > select the icons tab and select Gnome Brave. For your boarder which is the strip on the top of the window look for Default in Settings > Window Manager > under the Style tab look for Default which should be the first one on the top. For the dock on the bottom, type in Xfce dock in the Software Manager and select Cairo-dock.

deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:56 am

Perhaps this could be of use too:

https://bluesabre.org/2015/10/12/xfce-p ... roduction/

I've just posted about this on another thread but you can choose xfce 4.12 panel option to give you a single-click way of setting up panels as per 'Default xfce'.

Return to “Xfce”