Whisker Menu-MenuLibre: Data locations & printing it.

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
idlerwheel
Level 1
Level 1

Whisker Menue-MenuKibre; content storage locations, printing this data.

Post by idlerwheel » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:24 am

Issue: User content storage locations and access: printing this data.

Software:
MenuLibre
Version: 2.2.0

Whisker Menu
Version: two versions, (designations unavailable in both of them)

OS & environment:
Mint 19.1 xfce desktop.

Explanation:
I need to access all of my launcher's user data in human-readable form in order to be able to print it. I have no idea about where this information is stored, and have slogged about in the directories for hours trying to find it with no success.

I have done extensive usability edits of my program titles and their description lines to make these entries meaningful in my everyday life. I have made these edits in both Whisker Menu and MenuLibre. The editing has always worked. Now, for example, instead of seeing almost meaningless default listings such as "File Manager" and "Manage your files," I see "Krusader - File Manager" and "Kde (from repository)." Quite simply, I need to be able to distinguish between the six file managers on my system (I'm reviewing file managers), and it's handy to have other significant reminders up close, right there in the launcher. In this example, I'm instantly reminded of the program's source and where I obtained it.

I'm going to re-install my entire system on this computer, using what I've learned from doing it wrong the first time. So, getting my applications embedded properly into the launcher will be a large part of this. And that's why it woiuld be most helpful for me to be able go get at the launcher data to print it, or even copy-and-paste it into the fields. Unfortunately, the only way that I've been able to do this is by writing down the information with a pen on paper.

Can any of you please help me to find the data?

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Whisker Menu-MenuLibre: Data locations & printing it.

Post by trytip » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:22 am

Code: Select all

sed -ns '1F;/^\[Desktop Entry\]/,/^\[/{/^Name=/p;/^Exec=/h};${z;x;G;p}' /usr/share/applications/*.desktop /usr/share/applications/kde4/*.desktop $HOME/.local/share/applications/*.desktop
will get you a list of installed applications with a .desktop file. it's not a complete list of ALL programs on your computer as some are python scripts and terminal commands.

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:15 am

Any menu entries you have edited or manually added will have a desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications. Just back up those files and restore after re-installation.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Crippled

Post by Crippled » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:17 pm

First, welcome to the Linux mint forum. Second, please forgive me for not understanding everything as typed out but I will try to answer what I understand since I am a former Windows user. The file manger for Xfce is Thunar and I would not recommend using a different one because it might cause problems. To understand printing in human form you will need the printing software from your printer manufacture if available which will have an intuitive graphic user interface. You lost me on everything else other than you are going to do a re-install. What printer do you have because this question is the most important if you want to print?

idlerwheel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by idlerwheel » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:41 am

Thanks to trytip and smurphos. You people have got me exploring and thinking.
Within the MenuLibre menu editor, and its entries, I have found references to two directories: these are

/usr/share/applications/
and
/home/username/.local/share/applications/

MenuLibre is apparently working with both locations. MenuLibre is alerting the user (me) to errors within the desktop files in /usr/share/applications/, and it's identifying what the errors are. All of these "bad" files are in this directory and within each of these files, there is a reference to kde (!). All of the files in this directory are owned by root; as such, edits to them cannot be easily saved (but, of course, with a little effort, I can do it).

These files appear to be the original versions, created here when these applications were first installed on my system. They are "straight," "raw," in the sense that they do not contain any changes by me. These files are "locked" against typical everyday changes.

The files in the other directory, /home/username/.local/share/applications/, contain all my edits and changes. They contain everything that I see in the menu application's fields. I am the owner of these files, and as such, I can easily load them into an editor program and change anything about them. Or, as I have already done, I can change the contents of their two displayed lines within either Whisker Menu or MenuLibre.

The listings in both directories are not identical. There are more files in the first directory than there are in the second directory. I assume that the entries in the second directory are only those that are integrated into the menu application.

I'm not clear about how MenuLibre works with one directory vs the other one. Did MenuLibre first find each file in directory #1 and then place it into directory #2, especially after the files were changed?

Yes: the thought of copying these menu files into the same location on the new system is very appealing. And thanks for the tip!

Aside to Crippled as we are actually off-topic: I agree about certain "non-native" file managers being able to degrade a Mint installation. Indeed, I may have actually done this, in particular, with a huge KDE project named "Krusader." But there are certain usability features that I must have in a file manager program, and most of these programs have failed my tests. I dislike Thunar, and I want my system to be rid of it. I like to use a file manager that can work with two directories simultaneously and also show the directory tree: something like Double Commander https://doublecmd.sourceforge.io/ (it's also in the Mint repositories). Nemo, the default program with Cinnamon, is better than Thunar in being able to do this. In fact, I find Nemo's usability to be superior to Thunar's in general.

The absolutely essential feature that I require is, in the file search mode, to allow me to highlight, copy, and paste the results of a search. Amazingly, hardly any of these programs will provide me with this basic usability. A nice lightweight program that I've found is the xfe file manager. it's in the repository.

About printing: I use two HP inkjet printers. They can be run, of course, with the default Linux driver. There's also a humongous "every-printer-we-have-ever-made" Linux utility from Hewlett-Packard: HP LIP. The HP driver is very sophisticated, seeming to duplicate all the functions that we get with Windows. However, I may just stick with the Linux routine, CUPS, because I think that it's adequate.

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:17 am

idlerwheel wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:41 am

/usr/share/applications/
and
/home/username/.local/share/applications/

I'm not clear about how MenuLibre works with one directory vs the other one. Did MenuLibre first find each file in directory #1 and then place it into directory #2, especially after the files were changed?
So the first directory is the standard system location for launchers (.desktop files) and as you correctly surmise is where application launchers are put during installation of applications. The second directory is the your users local equivalent of this folder. Any launcher than you edit via the menu editor has the edited copy made here. Any additional menu entry you create will have it's launcher created here. If both locations contain a launcher with the same name the user copy takes precedence.

You'll find this concept a lot - your home folder contains config folders that can add to or override default system configs - e.g you have a ~/.themes which can override /usr/share/themes etc etc....
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Xfce”