Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

[SOLVED] User and Groups

Post by JerryF » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:39 pm

Hello all,

When reading some instructions for changing account types, adding users to groups, or changing a password, most of the instructions say go to "Settings" or "Control Panel" the click on Users and Groups.

I have three installations of Xfce and have never had Users and Groups in Settings. I have to access that from the Main Menu and either scroll down or type in "Users and Groups" for that option to show up.

Am I supposed to have Users and Groups in Settings for Xfce?
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Last edited by JerryF on Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

MrEen
Level 15
Level 15

Re: User and Groups

Post by MrEen » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:53 pm

I don't think so Jerry. Most likely those instructions are for Cinnamon users (or Windows users in the case of Control Panel! :wink: )

My 18.3 Xfce Settings Manager page is almost identical to yours.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:55 pm

MATE has a Control Center, which does include it:

But why would I take that detour when I can just go straight there via the menu? I never tell anyone to use Settings/Control Center (unless you're using a menu without a search function, I suppose). I think it's only useful for new users to take a look around to learn what's configurable. I guess Xfce is a bit more limited in that regard.
Last edited by gm10 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

MrEen
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MrEen » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:02 pm

And if you want a quicker method of access, run users-admin in the terminal.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Re: [SOLVED] User and Groups

Post by JerryF » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:18 pm

MrEn, thanks for confirming that. I thought that my setup for Xfce was faulty because of the missing User and Groups in Settings.

gm10, true, it's much quicker to do a search so that's what I use for User and Groups. Sometimes, I forget the terminology to do a search for other options, so I do use Settings here and there.

I marked this as solved.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

Return to “Xfce”