Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dissar
Level 1
Level 1

Window manager setting not applying to all windows

Post by dissar » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:30 am

Linux Mint 19.1 xfce 64 bit
Made adjustment to the placement of close/minimize-buttons in the 'Window Manager' and it works fine for most windows. However some windows, like the welcome-dialog, does not comply with these settings. This is shown in the image attached which also show the settings I made in 'Window Manager'.

Are these particular windows built in a different framework? Is there any way to adjust the buttons-/title placement for these windows as well?

Help much appreciated :)
Attachments
lmint-close-minimize-buttons.png

MrEen
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Window manager setting not applying to all windows

Post by MrEen » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:57 am

Hi dissar, and welcome to the forum.

I had a very similar issue until recently. My icons are still on the right and title is centered like the default, but I found that all the Mint specific apps did not follow my theme choice which makes a drastic change to the Minimize/Maximize/Close icons like this:

All the icons in the Mint apps were the tiny things just like in your screenshot. When I finally decided to do something about it, I found that they were already fixed. The one thing I had done recently was apply all the updates that I had been previously blocking using the level manager in the Update Manager's Edit > Preferences > Levels section.

You might wish to try this as well, but only if you have a Timeshift snapshot available to fall back to, in case something goes wrong.

Note that I'm using 18.3 Xfce, so your issue may be different, but sounds quite the same. The only app I still have disobeying my choice is gnome-calculator as far as I know.

Hope that helps.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:12 am

dissar wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:30 am
Are these particular windows built in a different framework? Is there any way to adjust the buttons-/title placement for these windows as well?
In the official version, no, mintsources overrides the default button placement for some reason. I never knew until I checked just now. I'll fix it in my version of mintsources, the fix will be on my PPA in my weekly update tomorrow. To get the official version changes you'd have to submit a feature request at Mint's github.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

dissar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dissar » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:48 am

The one thing I had done recently was apply all the updates that I had been previously blocking using the level manager in the Update Manager's Edit > Preferences > Levels section.

You might wish to try this as well, but only if you have a Timeshift snapshot available to fall back to, in case something goes wrong.
I checked these settings, and none of the levels are hidden in my system.
In the official version, no, mintsources overrides the default button placement for some reason. I never knew until I checked just now. I'll fix it in my version of mintsources, the fix will be on my PPA in my weekly update tomorrow. To get the official version changes you'd have to submit a feature request at Mint's github.
Wow, loving the quick reponse and quick action. I'll try that tomorrow then.

Thanks guys!

dissar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dissar » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:44 am

gm10 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:12 am
dissar wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:30 am
Hi, gm10.

I got your update from yesterday that fixes the button placement ... for only some windows it appears.
I've tested the welcome dialog and 'Software Sources'.

Software sources now has the correct button placement according to my settings in 'Window Manager' but 'Welcome' does not.
Also, neither have the correct color theme.
For instance, I have it set to 'Mint-Y-Dark-Purple' under 'Window Manager' -> 'Style'-tab and this applies to all windows except the ones that previously did not obey the button placement settings.
The colors on the buttons in 'Software Sources' and 'Welcome' are the colors set in 'Settings Manager' > 'Appearance' > 'Style'-tab.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:15 am

dissar wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:44 am
I got your update from yesterday that fixes the button placement ... for only some windows it appears.
I've tested the welcome dialog and 'Software Sources'.

Software sources now has the correct button placement according to my settings in 'Window Manager' but 'Welcome' does not.
My PPA replaces only parts of Mint, and the Welcome screen (mintwelcome) is not one of them (and I currently have no plans of adding it). So a fix for the welcome screen would have to come from the Mint team.
dissar wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:44 am
Also, neither have the correct color theme.
For instance, I have it set to 'Mint-Y-Dark-Purple' under 'Window Manager' -> 'Style'-tab and this applies to all windows except the ones that previously did not obey the button placement settings.
The colors on the buttons in 'Software Sources' and 'Welcome' are the colors set in 'Settings Manager' > 'Appearance' > 'Style'-tab.
Yes, it's a result of the messy theming situation. These tools use a custom headerbar that gets styled with the GTK desktop and icon theme, not with the border and control theme. It's no problem as long as you apply both from the same theme, but if you mix and match as you seem to be doing then some apps will not follow that.

I could change it back to a "classic" toolbar for Software Sources, the downside is you get this with the "(as superuser)":
which was probably the main reason for going that route in the first place. At least it's the reason my version also uses a headerbar for the mirror selection dialog where the official version doesn't.

That said, I have been planning for a while on eventually stopping that app from running with root privileges, anyway, I could change it back then I guess.

But how much of an issue is this, do many people really use non-matching border themes (other desktop environments switch it all in one go, anyway)?

dissar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dissar » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:43 am

gm10 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:15 am
But how much of an issue is this, do many people really use non-matching border themes (other desktop environments switch it all in one go, anyway)?
Hi,
Thanks for the update! For me it's just a minor ocd challenge, but I can live with it - no problem. It just seemed strange to me.
In my opinion not worth spending too much time fixing if it requires some work.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:06 am

No, it wouldn't really require any work at all (see the screenshot above, that's when I did the potential already for a moment). It's no question of effort and more of style for now with the "(as superuser)" being required to use the Xfce border-style, which does get cut off on narrow windows like the mirror selection dialog and just looks ugly. But I still have it on all other dialogs, anyway, so I might as well. I'll think about it. ;)

Unless you mean my end goal of making the entire app run within your regular user context instead of as superuser. That would make the "(as superuser)" go away as well for obvious reasons, but that would indeed be a little bit of work. I do want to eventually move all the root functionality in the Mint apps to a system service. I've already prepared Update Manager for such a switch but I've largely rewritten the whole thing, anyway. For Software Sources that's still on the list. One day... ;)

Return to “Xfce”