How to slow down window opening/closing?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Carney3
Level 1
Level 1

How to slow down window opening/closing?

Post by Carney3 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:22 pm

Maybe this should be posted in the Compiz board instead of the XFCE board, but ..

I'm looking at Mint 19.2 XFCE and the same issue I've noticed in 19.1 is there. The default in XFCE, at least running it off the USB drive or in Oracle VM to try it out, seems to be that opening, closing, maximizing, or minimizing a window happens instantly. No transition, not even a lightning fast animation, just bam. That's too sudden and jarring for me. And in my opinion, not necessary for being lightweight - even the first Mac in 1984 with far far less resources showed a quick, minimal animation of a shrinking or growing outline. I don't need a fancy "genie effect" that distorts the window (let alone live video) as it shrinks to the panel or dock or the like, but it would be nice to have a to-scale shrink-down or growth that keeps showing the window contents in proportion as the window grows or shrinks, which seems to be the default in most other desktop environments. At the very least I'd like a wireframe outline of the window growing or shrinking until it finishes like way back in the first Mac GUI.

XFCE is supposed to be simpler and easier but I can't easily find a simple, straightforward way of enabling this. I see that Compiz is built in but while it has a lot of options nothing clearly, obviously enables this relatively simple seeming effect, so maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

What can I do to just get a normal, not-startling, expanding or shrinking effect in a window at a normal speed? Not super slow of course, just a normal speed like pretty much everything else. Or do I need to actually install this OS to the hardware, maybe so XFCE can talk to my video card (my Sony Vaio laptop has an Intel HD Graphics 4000 card) to enable this?

Thanks and I appreciate any help.

ColdBootII
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to slow down window opening/closing?

Post by ColdBootII » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:29 am

Hi,

Your initial feeling is wright. You have to use Compiz as your WM to achieve what you want. Pick the animation effect you'd prefer for Open,Close etc, in Effects->Animations of Compiz Config Settings and set the time to some value that suite your taste. Over 1s, I guess. Though, as far as I can recall, Whisker Menu was a pain to setup to glide out but I might be wrong about it.

Cheers.

Return to “Xfce”