[Solved]Menu Change

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

[Solved]Menu Change

Post by blueocean » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:47 pm

Is there a different menu or add-on available for Xfce 19.2 that would have the shut down button at the bottom left like cinnamon and mate? I know you can shift the location to the bottom in menu properties, but the all settings button winds up on the left. I would not have to look for it because I'm used to Cinnamon. I tried adding the Actions Button to the panel, but did't like that.
Last edited by blueocean on Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Menu Change

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:59 pm

You can make a "panel launcher" for making a shutdown button if you wish.

just name it something like "Shutdown" where it says "name" in order to give it a title, then copy and past this code

Code: Select all

shutdown -Ph now
where it says "command", and where it says "icon", just click onto it and search for a desirable icon you like and just and then just click save.

Move it to anywhere you like on the "panel" bar...DAMIEN

Ps...If you also want one for reboot just do the same as mentioned above but the "command" code for reboot is,

shutdown -Pr now
ORDO AB CHAO

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:14 pm

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:59 pm
You can make a "panel launcher" for making a shutdown button if you wish.

just name it something like "Shutdown" where it says "name" in order to give it a title, then copy and past this code

shutdown -Ph now
where it says "command", and where it says "icon", just click onto it and search for a desirable icon you like and just and then just click save.

Move it to anywhere you like on the "panel" bar...DAMIEN

Ps...If you also want one for reboot just do the same as mentioned above but the "command" code for reboot is,

shutdown -Pr now
Tried that and didn't really like because I'm used to going to the Menu for so many years. What I really want is like Mate and Cinnamon to be in the lower left when I click Menu.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:18 pm

Well, heheheh, That was my best shot i could give ya for that one...lol...I like it there on the panel myself because i like doing things in just one click...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:48 pm

I also do not know a method to change the location.

But you could create a keyboard shortcut via Menu/Keyboard and under the shortcuts tab.
Click Add, and in the command field enter xfce4-session-logout. Give it a keyboard shortcut
such as Ctrl+X. Then the exit dialogue will pop up in the center of the screen.
Alternately you could enter systemctl poweroff into the command field for an instant
shutdown.

MrEen
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MrEen » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:56 pm

I'm not sure how, but some of roblm's screenshots in this thread has the logout button at the bottom, albeit on the right and not left. Some others have a logout menu entry similar to the Categories.

The thread was far too exhaustive to quickly see how these things may have been accomplished. Kudo's to roblm for the efforts though!!!

Don't know if that's going to help at all, but there it is!

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:11 pm

Wowzers MrEen that's a small book. I don't want to rebuild the system :shock:
But some of those screenshots do look pretty nice.

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:15 pm

all41 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:48 pm
I also do not know a method to change the location.

But you could create a keyboard shortcut via Menu/Keyboard and under the shortcuts tab.
Click Add, and in the command field enter xfce4-session-logout. Give it a keyboard shortcut
such as Ctrl+X. Then the exit dialogue will pop up in the center of the screen.
Alternately you could enter systemctl poweroff into the command field for an instant
shutdown.
I used to do that back on Win 7 a long time ago. Really want something I'm accustomed to.

MrEen
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MrEen » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:17 pm

It is! I know you don't. I fully agree!

I do remember using part of what's there to add a mugshot to my menu, but don't remember it being such a massive amount of data.

roblm
Level 11
Level 11

Post by roblm » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:56 am

In the topic link that MrEen posted, go down to this section, which is about half-way down, in my 6th post:
Update: Mint 18.3 Xfce Applications Menu Editing:

The optional Applications Menu can be added by right clicking on the panel and selecting Panel > Add New Items. It will have the Log Out button at the bottom left. Here is the menu I’m using.

Xfce19.2 applications menu.png
Xfce19.2 applications menu.png (72.78 KiB) Viewed 462 times

The bottom section of the menu is used to add favorite apps. I removed the text next to the Log Out and Terminal buttons. To do this, an empty character has to be used in the name.

secureIT
Level 3
Level 3

Post by secureIT » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi blueocean,

this is whiskermenu with shut down button at the bottom left ( but not completely left) ........ sufficient for your needs ?

In der Ruhe liegt die Kraft ! .......... The strenght is to be found in serenity !

roblm
Level 11
Level 11

Post by roblm » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:05 pm

Actually the Shutdown button can be moved all the way to the left, if you hide the buttons above Shut Down and make visible the buttons below it.

whisker menu.png

The All Settings button function is the same as Settings Manager in the Settings category. If you need the Switch Users button function, then create a launcher with the menu editor in any category with the command dm-tool switch-to-greeter. If the Lock Screen button is needed, then create a launcher with the command xflock4 or press Ctrl+Alt+L. These launchers can be added to Favorites.

whisker menu 2.png

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:26 pm

roblm wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:56 am
In the topic link that MrEen posted, go down to this section, which is about half-way down, in my 6th post:

The optional Applications Menu can be added by right clicking on the panel and selecting Panel > Add New Items. It will have the Log Out button at the bottom left. Here is the menu I’m using.

The bottom section of the menu is used to add favorite apps. I removed the text next to the Log Out and Terminal buttons. To do this, an empty character has to be used in the name.
Is this the one that starts by:
gksudo gedit /usr/share/xfcemint/xfce-applications.menu
If so my output is:

lance@Xfce:~$ gksudo gedit /usr/share/xfcemint/xfce-applications.menu

Command 'gksudo' not found, did you mean:

command 'gfsudo' from deb gfarm-client

Try: sudo apt install <deb name>
This is Xfce 19.2 I'm using

roblm
Level 11
Level 11

Post by roblm » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:41 pm

blueocean wrote: Is this the one that starts by:
That was the location of the Applications Menu configuration file used for Xfce 18. For Xfce 18.3 and 19.xx, the configuration file used is /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu

Also, for Xfce 19, gksudo is no longer used. The command would be
xed admin:///etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:02 pm

roblm wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:41 pm
blueocean wrote: Is this the one that starts by:
That was the location of the Applications Menu configuration file used for Xfce 18. For Xfce 18.3 and 19.xx, the configuration file used is /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu

Also, for Xfce 19, gksudo is no longer used. The command would be
xed admin:///etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu
I did these edits and my menu is blank except for the shutdown button :shock:
<Menu>
<Name>All</Name>
<Directory>xfce-all.directory</Directory>
<Include>
<All/>
</Include>
</Menu>

If you want the category to be listed in the position as shown then also add this line to the “Layout” section at the beginning of the
file, above the line “<Merge type="all"/>”:
<Menuname>All</Menuname>
I think I'm confused by the edit site, just too much there.

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:59 pm

roblm wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:56 am

This would be the look I'd like.
Desired.jpg
And this is what I have now by just regular Whisker adjustments
Menu.jpg

roblm
Level 11
Level 11

Post by roblm » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:46 pm

blueocean wrote:
roblm wrote:
If you want the category to be listed in the position as shown then also add this line to the “Layout” section at the beginning of the
file, above the line “<Merge type="all"/>”:
<Menuname>All</Menuname>
That info is not from the Xfce 18.3 section I told you to look over, but from the Xfce 18 section at the beginning of that menu editing topic and it should not be used.
Last edited by roblm on Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:59 pm

So robim can I get it to look like the pic I said I'd like?

roblm
Level 11
Level 11

Post by roblm » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:23 pm

Open the menu to Settings > Appearance. Under the Style and Icons tabs, select Mint-Y. I personally don’t like that theme with it’s plain looking icons. My menu was using the Xfce-b5 theme. To move the Shut Down button to the far left, follow the info in my second post.

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:53 pm

Got it about as good as I can. Certainly better thanks to everyone's help, especially robim. Will mark solved.

Return to “Xfce”