Is there a proper way to change Qt fonts in xfce?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mintmdrescher
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a proper way to change Qt fonts in xfce?

Post by mintmdrescher »

Hi members,

on my shiny new Tricia install, Qt applications don't look that nice for now. Font are too big and look clumsy. I wonder if there is a proper way to make Qt look just like they are in xfce/GTK?
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Is there a proper way to change Qt fonts in xfce?

Post by Flemur »

mintmdrescher wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:09 am
Hi members,
on my shiny new Tricia install, Qt applications don't look that nice for now. Font are too big and look clumsy. I wonder if there is a proper way to make Qt look just like they are in xfce/GTK?
Install and run qt5ct "This utility allows users to configure Qt5 settings (theme, font, icons, etc.) under DE/WM without Qt integration."
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
mintmdrescher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mintmdrescher »

This is getting me one step further: Looks like I have some residue somewhere in my ~. A newly created user looks just fine, but my present home was taken from a previous install. I thought, I had removed all this, like stuff in .config .local. Where else would those things hide?
mintmdrescher
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Is there a proper way to change Qt fonts in xfce?

Post by mintmdrescher »

I'm not sure, what I exactly did, but removing an old .config/gtk-2.0/ was part of it. Now changing the Appearance -> Style in qt5ct had an effect, which it did not have before. No idea, if some other magic was involved, but it works for me.

Thanks!
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Re: [Solved] Is there a proper way to change Qt fonts in xfce?

Post by Flemur »

mintmdrescher wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:09 am
I'm not sure, what I exactly did, but removing an old .config/gtk-2.0/ was part of it. Now changing the Appearance -> Style in qt5ct had an effect, which it did not have before. No idea, if some other magic was involved, but it works for me.
That sounds about right since the various desktops don't play nice with each other, at all. I use fluxbox on top of various distros and usually end up with 10 or 12 files which define fonts (typically the same font over and over).

Just checked: my lubuntu distro has 21 files under $HOME which define fonts - all for two fonts!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
mintmdrescher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mintmdrescher »

Remember good old fvwm...
Not fancy but stupid simple. On the other hand, no xorg.conf nor vesafb to mess around with. Well, there is no free lunch after all.

Cheers, Martin

Return to “Xfce”