Network connection tray menu is truncated

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
lonely_llama
Level 2
Level 2

Network connection tray menu is truncated

Post by lonely_llama »

When I click the tray icon to show the list of wifi connections, it shows up as a tiny window that has to be scrolled. Been like this since upgrading to 19.3 from 19.2 (xfce), can't think of any other reason.
This is how it looks, instead of being reasonably sized.

How do I fix this?

PhilAypee
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Network connection tray menu is truncated

Post by PhilAypee »

lonely_llama wrote: โ†‘
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:56 pm
When I click the tray icon to show the list of wifi connections, it shows up as a tiny window that has to be scrolled. Been like this since upgrading to 19.3 from 19.2 (xfce), can't think of any other reason.
This is how it looks, instead of being reasonably sized.

How do I fix this?
Sometimes it does for me - so you're not alone. :)
Take care,
Phil.

Minimize your therbligs until it becomes automatic;
this doubles your effective lifetime โ€“ and thereby gives time to enjoy
butterflies and kittens and rainbows.

LM 19.3 Xfce 64 bit - 4Gb RAM Dual Core Celeron N3350
๐Ÿš‚๐Ÿšƒ๐Ÿšƒ๐Ÿšƒ๐Ÿšƒ๐Ÿšƒ๐Ÿšƒ๐Ÿšƒ๐Ÿšƒ๐Ÿšƒ๐Ÿšƒ๐Ÿšƒ๐Ÿšƒ๐Ÿšƒ

Robbins21
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Network connection tray menu is truncated/wonky

Post by Robbins21 »

Hi, for me, there's more to the network pop-up menu problem: I'm using Mint XFCE 19.3 64bit with all the updates (Kernel 4.15), on an Acer notebook with Intel graphics. When clicking my panel's network icon (default position, bottom of screen), I often notice that the network manager menu which pops up feels wonky. The menu may:

--sit neatly on the panel
--overlap the panel a bit
--hover a bit or high above the panel
--be truncated/of a smaller size (most of the time it's like this; only some menu options are visible)
--be a larger vertical rectancle (all menu options are visible)
--change size or shift abruptly

Also, menu options under my cursor may shift very suddenly as I'm clicking. So the click that was supposed to disable wifi may select a different wifi network instead. Normally, you'll see the mistake. But if you're distracted/in a hurry, you may not. (I accidentally connected to some neighbour's unprotected wifi last week because of said problem. I noticed this only a day later or so.)

So I tried to find a solution for the flaky pop-up menu behaviour (couldn't find anything on Google). My panel is basically the original Mint one with a few tweaks, like an increased size/height of the panel row and a higher DPI value for fonts/text (for use with the notebook's 14" Full HD screen). I reset these values, but this did not help.

I then tried different panel presets and noticed: When loading the "xfce4.12" preset, the panel's network pop-up menu seems rock solid (nw icon top of screen; menu expanding downwards). But when loading the "Redmond" preset, the menu seems acting strange again (nw icon bottom of screen; menu expanding upwards). Then I tried moving my panel to the top of the screen -- which actually seems to keep my network menu from being weird.

But I'd like to keep the panel at the bottom of the screen: So any suggestions how to fix the wonky menu there would be appreciated!

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

Sorry folks. This is a long(ish) standing GTK bug: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues/1843

Found that from this post on the Xfce forum: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=13960

For reference, Andre Miranda in the first link is one of the main Xfce developers. So this isn't an Xfce (nor Mint) issue.

lonely_llama
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lonely_llama »

MrEen wrote: โ†‘
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:12 pm
This is a long(ish) standing GTK bug:
Doubt it's going to be fixed by the snowflake who closed it in response to bad comments.

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

lonely_llama wrote: โ†‘
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:19 am
MrEen wrote: โ†‘
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:12 pm
This is a long(ish) standing GTK bug:
Doubt it's going to be fixed by the snowflake who closed it in response to bad comments.
Agreed. Andre even posted a link to how the Nemo devs work around the bug, thereby giving them a potential solution. Looks like they only want someone to make the fix themselves, then offer it to them. I'm not personally happy with other things going on in the GTK world, and that kind of attitude from a developer makes me think about switching to a QT based system. I know of someone creating a fork of GTK. I'll be keeping an eye on how that progresses.

secureIT
Level 4
Level 4

Post by secureIT »

May be the reason for this behaviour is not a gtk bug, but has its reason in a bug of the update procedure from 19.2 on 19.3 .
I can confirm, that an freshly installed 19.3 (like mine) doesnt show a truncated network tray .......

lonely_llama
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lonely_llama »

I too found this problem post upgrade. Maybe there's something there.

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

Based on the last two posts, I'm suspecting something (GTK maybe) is not getting updated via the upgrade path, but that's beyond my skillset to troubleshoot.

Robbins21
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Robbins21 »

I upgraded to 19.3 too (no fresh install). But today, I did a fresh install of Mint 20 Xfce on my Intel Nuc. There, the pop-up menu behaviour seems okay. (So I'll probably try a Mint 20 upgrade on my notebook, when upgrading becomes available..)

Return to โ€œXfceโ€