Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
KameranX
Level 1
Level 1

Locked out!

Post by KameranX »

Hi,

I have an Acer One Cloudbook running xfce 19.3 Tricia. A few days ago I was able to get in after typing in my password straight after the Acer logo came up (that is, I would need to type in password before xfce started running, or to get into the BIOS screen) .

Today, I entered password as before, and saw an error message after I saw the Linux Mint logo. I've never seen this before:

Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia Acer tty1

Acer login: [ 13.866713] uvcvideo: Failed to query (GET_INFO) UVC control 2 on unit 1: - 32 (exp. 1).

[ 13.870061] uvcvideo: Failed to query (GET_INFO) UVC control 4 on unit 1: - 32 (exp. 1).

[ 13.872169] uvcvideo: Failed to query (GET_INFO) UVC control 4 on unit 2: - 32 (exp. 1).

(please not that there were no spaces between the three lines referring to uvcvideo, I did this for readability)

I then see (which I have never seen before):

Acer login:
Password:

For which I have tried all the username/password combinations I can think of, with no success

I have no idea really what the 3 uvcvideo lines mean, other than maybe a file is missing or corrupted. Or not sure if it means my computer has been hacked?

If this cannot be solved now, will it be solved with a complete reinstallation of xfce?

Please note that I'm running an HP external monitor via an HDMI connection. It makes no difference if this is unplugged during boot.

Many thanks in advance for any help that can be given
antikythera
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Locked out!

Post by antikythera »

Do not worry about your machine being hacked because the error message does not at all indicate that. The message refers to the webcam not being detected properly by the kernel. it is either failing or not properly supported by the current kernel you have installed. Have you updated the system in the last few days since it was working okay?

Also, not sure why this would prevent your logging in, seems there might be a bigger issue with your machine than just the webcam.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
KameranX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KameranX »

Hi. Thanks for your reply. No, I haven't touched it at all since last successful login. That's why I'm really confused.

Will a reinstallation of xfce resolve the issue?
secureIT
Level 4
Level 4

Post by secureIT »

Hi,

try this :

activate the BIOS utility, press <F2> while the computer logo is being displayed

Then (if it there is given a choice) .... deactivate the Webcam.

After that Select <F10> to save and exit the BIOS utility.

Then try to boot ...... or make a hard-reset and try to boot again.

Please give a feedback if system is booting now.

If it boots without error messages, we can look any further, what is the cause for the messages to uvcvideo.

To answer your question :
Will a reinstallation of xfce resolve the issue?
Seems not, because the error occurred unexpectedly. it can be assumed that there was a kernel update in the meantime - there is no other explanation, unless the webcam suddenly has a defect.....
KameranX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KameranX »

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. There was no option to deactivate the cam, maybe I can do it now that I am on (I don't know what a hard reset is). Is a kernel update a software update?

I reinstalled xfce and it solved the problem, although I didn't think it would. However, I'm not sure whether or not it will happen again. If it does, I will try a different distribution and/or flavour. Maybe Mate or Lubuntu.

I love Linux and am glad I switched and I will always use it. It's such a shame that it's not more common (although I heard Space X used it on Dragon?). Only one (small) company I worked at used it - and that's because the guys were techies. It's fun to play around with the different flavours. I mist have gone through 6 before settling on xfce.

Linux has given me problems though 😂. It literally took me hours and hours a of searching to find a driver for my printer, and using command lines is really hard for me.

Anyway, thanks again for your help, I really do appreciate when I get support here.

Return to “Xfce”