Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
vatosflokos
Level 1
Level 1

A Weird Event After Updating to Linux Mint 20

Post by vatosflokos »

Hello,
I upgraded to the latest version of LInux Mint. In the login screen, in the area that it asks to type my root password, exactly under that area I see the following word |varnish |
It is the first time I see this thing, and I am really curious what this may mean or if it has smth to do with the latest upgrade. I have been searching on Google about it for the past half hour but it seems that I am the only one who is so curious (or have noticed) about that thing.
So, does anyone knows the answer this?
Kindest regards,
Eddie
vatosflokos
Level 1
Level 1

Re: A Weird Event After Updating to Linux Mint 20

Post by vatosflokos »

confused? It is like a username. When I click on Varnish it asks me to login ?!
Moem
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Moem »

vatosflokos wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:11 am
it asks to type my root password
Are you sure it's not asking for your user password?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
vatosflokos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vatosflokos »

Basically,
I don't know which password it asks me to give.
Right at the small login window, above is my username, in the middle is the field where it supposed that we type our password. and below that is the "varnish" label.
When I click upon that is like a new user has been added.It asks for a passwor. It wasn't there before the update. So, I am a a little bit confused about what might have happened.
I thought that this might be a new feature of the update, so the right thing to do was to post a question here.
But, as the time passes by I start to become nervous. My system has been hacked? :shock: :shock: :shock:
deck_luck
Level 6
Level 6

Post by deck_luck »

By default the Session Manager uses the Session Chooser option. This option allows the user to select different user accounts. Without the Session Chooser option, you must manually enter the account name. You can use the "lslogins" command to query for a varnish user. Please use the following command:

Code: Select all

lslogins -l varnish
🐧Linux Mint 19 XFCE 💡Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

vatosflokos wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:39 am

Right at the small login window, above is my username, in the middle is the field where it supposed that we type our password. and below that is the "varnish" label.
When I click upon that is like a new user has been added.It asks for a passwor. It wasn't there before the update. So, I am a a little bit confused about what might have happened.
My system has been hacked? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Could you take a picture of your login screen and post it in this forum?
vatosflokos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vatosflokos »

Hello,
I don't know why and how this has happened (am I on linux world, right?) but I googled it a lot. At some point I found some hokus pokus terminal commands that shows a complete list with all the users of the system.
He? or that? (you know, the "varnish" thing) was turn out to be a user of my system. I kicked him out with a low kick by doing -su, an uppercut with *getent passwd varnish* and a headlock while I was changing *his* default password...and BAM! -userdel userName.
Varnish I command you to Vanish!
Thank you for all the help. Maybe it was a leftover from a previous *grub thing* *server install* of an *Ubuntu*, *arch linux*, *debian - like*, *never ending*, *long list* open source items...

Return to “Xfce”