Thunar, file-roller, and xarchiver

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
guinnessthecat
Level 1
Level 1

Thunar, file-roller, and xarchiver

Post by guinnessthecat »

Hi - I'm a long-time Xubuntu user who just switched to using Xfce under Mint 20. I've discovered that Thunar now uses xarchiver instead of file-roller to create archive files. Unfortunately, xarchiver doesn't remember my last-used Archive Type. This means every time I invoke it I have to (painfully slowly) scroll past 19 other options to get to my desired ZIP archive type. I do a LOT of such archiving in multiple different folders, and the extra time this takes is unworkable. Is there a way to configure Thunar to use file-roller instead of xarchiver? Alternatively, can I downgrade either Thunar or all of Xfce to an earlier version, yet keep Ulyana?

Thanks!
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Thunar, file-roller, and xarchiver

Post by MrEen »

Hi guinnessthecat, and welcome to the forum.

I'm not using 20 myself, but might be able to help. Let's see the output of cat /usr/share/applications/org.gnome.FileRoller.desktop to see if that exists. If it doesn't exist, go to that folder in Thunar and right click on Archive Manager and select Open With...Open With "Text Editor" then copy that into a reply here.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Thunar, file-roller, and xarchiver

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi guinnessthecat,

If you don't need/use xarchiver why not simply uninstall it? The thunar-archive-plugin will work quite happily with file-roller.

Return to “Xfce”