[SOLVED] TOR won't run - scripts permissions?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jake_UK
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] TOR won't run - scripts permissions?

Post by Jake_UK »

Hi all,

I've recently moved from Cinnamon to XFCE and have found an issue when setting up all my usual apps - TOR won't run properly, I just get the error:
Tor exited during startup. This might be due to an error in your torrc file, a bug in Tor or another program on your system, or faulty hardware. Until you fix the underlying problem and restart Tor, Tor Browser will not start.
I downloaded the installer rather than via the Software Manager (the better way to do it I believe and the way I did it under Cinnamon).

I believe the issue is likely to do with execute permissions for scripts based on the Ubuntu note here and the thread on these forums here.

I've tried adding the custom Boolean setting as per the forum post and also (recursively) added execute permissions to the folder with chmod but still the same result. Has anyone else experienced this and discovered what's needed to make it work or does anyone have any ideas?

TIA!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: TOR won't run - scripts permissions?

Post by mikeflan »

I'm thinking Tor is not in the LM 19.3 Cinnamon Software Manager. I could be wrong.
Jake_UK
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] TOR won't run - scripts permissions?

Post by Jake_UK »

Sorry folks, solved it myself - it was simply because I was trying to run it from an NTFS partition, meaning no Linux permissions attached to the files. :roll:

Return to “Xfce”