xfwm4 does not work at startup

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
THRalf

xfwm4 does not work at startup

Post by THRalf »

Hello,
I have a fresh Mint 20 installation on my laptop and I am very satisfied so far, but there is one issue which I do not know how to fix:
After startup xfwm4 is not working properly (e.g. keybindings do not work) or actually I think it is not running at all. I have to run 'xfme4 --replace' and then it works fine. Now I wonder how I can fix this permanently?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: xfwm4 does not work at startup

Post by Hoser Rob »

First, is this the Xfce version and not another desktop Mint version with Xfce installed?

Second, you should post useful system details, paste the text output of inxi -Fxz run in the terminal.

In the meantime, in Mint Xfrce there's a compositor enabled by default unless they turned that off in Mint 20, which I doubt. This compositor may not like your hardware or config.

Go to settings > desktop settings > windows. Click the popup window for window manager setting and change it to just 'Xfwm4', which is the window manager without compositing. No reboot needed. See if that helps things. But hard to be sure with no useful system info.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
THRalf

Re: xfwm4 does not work at startup

Post by THRalf »

Set the window manager settings to just Xfwm4 solved the problem. It was set to 'Metacity + Compositing' for some reason.
Thanks a lot.

Return to “Xfce”