Change to Mint's own Xfce.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dm2930
Level 1
Level 1

Change to Mint's own Xfce.

Post by dm2930 »

Hi!
I see its easy to install the vanilla Xfce but its a pity not being able to experiment with Mint's own customization. Is it anywhere?
Thank you!

Javier.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Change to Mint's own Xfce.

Post by Hoser Rob »

Are you actually running Mint? If not I likely wouldn 't recommend it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
dm2930
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dm2930 »

Thank you. Yes.
I like Xcfe in distros like Manjaro (not in Xubuntu, though), and I would like to try out Mint's because it allows for some incredible customisation and, if developed by the same Cinnamon team, or under similar rules, promises to be really interesting to check out.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

So do I understand you right? That you have added XFCE to an existing Linux Mint Cinnamon installation?
dm2930
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dm2930 »

That's the question! 8-)
I want to use the Mint Xcfe desktop environment on top of Cinnamon installation. App center just offers vanilla Xcfe.
Thank you for your help.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Ah, I see. I've done something similar recently with LMDE. Installed XFCE enable Whisker Menu and removed all things Cinnamon.

I suppose if you want to keep both Cinnamon and XFCE, you could just do the same without removing Cinnamon.
dm2930
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dm2930 »

Thank you Neil. What I want is install the specific Mint Xfce if does exist. Just like Xubuntu-desktop in Ubuntu. Is not that desktop available anywhere?
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

As far as I know, Mint does not have a Mint specific XFCE desktop. The reason I did what I did on LMDE is because Mint only offers LMDE in a Cinnamon edition, so if one wants XFCE, one must make their own. With the Ubuntu based Mint, the team does offer an edition featuring the Xfce desktop, so it's not necessary to make your own. If you want both on the same installation...well, that's something that the Mint team does not recommend, so you are on your own in that instance. And probably will have to just install vanilla XFCE and add the Whisker Menu and a Mint theme, then you will basically have the Mint XFCE desktop.
dm2930
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dm2930 »

Thank you.
Well, I see MATE and Xfce editions alongside Cinnamon. Pretty much like other distros.
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2021-02-05 222334.png
dm2930
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dm2930 »

Oh! Sorry, I didn't understand.
Well, I'll try that out but just hoped it was a little easier.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

It is a little difficult to understand the question without knowing what the question is about :)

You want to change to Mint's own Xfce. But you don;t seem to say what you want to 'change from'.

Assuming you are using Linux Mandrake, to change to Mint's own Xfce rather than some other Xfce - all you need to do is download the Mint Xfce image from the Mint Download page (the one in your post) then write it to a USB drive.
Boot from the USB drive and see if you like Mint Xfce. If you like it, install it.
That's it. You have changed to Mint's own Xfce.

Now, if you are already using a different version of Mint, like Cinnamon or Mate, things are a little different.
You can easily use Synaptic or one of the other package managers to add Xfce4 and switch between it and your current desktop.
Using Synaptic and searching xfce4 then choosing xfce4 and Right click then 'Mark for installation' and Apply will install the xfce debian desktop. This should be more or less 'Mint Xfce.

Mint Xfce has some tweaks but I don;t know what they are, so the simplest thing to do is after it is installed, go back into Synaptic and 'Mark for installation' stuff like xfce-panel and various panel plugins, if they didn;t install automatically.

It's not as complicated as I make it sound - just don;t want to forget anything important. Honestly, that's the fun thing about Linux. Being able to mix and match.

Again, if you are not already running Mint, it is simple - just download Mint Xfce and do a fresh installation (make sure your existing personal stuff is backed up first). You might have to install programs that you downloaded that are not part of Mint.

If you are already using Mint, use Synaptic to add Xfce4. All your existing programs will still be there.

LOG OUT then you can choose between your existing Mint Cinnamon or Mate, and Mint Xfce. Switching back again is just a matter of LOGGING OUT and switching again...
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet

Return to “Xfce”