[Resolved] keeping/replacing /Home folder

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

[Resolved] keeping/replacing /Home folder

Post by tovian »

Not sure if this is the best forum to post this question - so - if a mod thinks it should be moved that's fine with me.

Can I... Should I... Should I not...

On one of my Testbeds I want to experiment with replacing my Cinnamon distro with the Xfce distro. Should I keep my old /Home folder (I always create it in a different partition than system and/or swap). Or, would it be better to back up the things I want and restore them after creating a new /Home during the installation.

I am NOT asking if I can install Xfce parallel to Cinnamon - I am asking about replacing Cinnamon as part of this experiment.
(I can - and in the end I may - try it both ways just to see the results for myself - but I'd like some info/opinions first)

Thanks in advance !!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
secureIT
Level 4
Level 4

Re: keeping/replacing /Home folder

Post by secureIT »

Hi tovian,

hope you will find the answer in this thread :

viewtopic.php?t=247859
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Re: keeping/replacing /Home folder

Post by tovian »

Thank you for that information.

I had already decided what I was going to do - and, sure enough, I somehow created a new problem.
Refer to This topic
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House

Return to “Xfce”