[SOLVED] Desktop Layout changed overnight and I don't know how to revert my changes

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zay_rob
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Desktop Layout changed overnight and I don't know how to revert my changes

Post by zay_rob »

Kernel: 5.4.0-66-generic x86_64
bits: 64
Desktop: Xfce 4.14.2
Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
---
Hello friends,

I am a brand new Linux user as of last week, so apologies in advance if I'm asking a simple question.

Literally overnight, my entire desktop layout changed, along with some keyboard functionality (screenshot hosted on Imgur: https://imgur.com/a/nBp8U7z).

Changes:
- Tool bar is located at the top of the screen. Previously it was at the bottom.
- There is an "application bar" at the bottom of the screen (similar to MacOS). This was not present before.
- When I hit the Windows/Command key (not sure the Linux name), it no longer pulls up a searchable menu for my system programs.

Attempts to Resolve:
- Restarted the computer
- Right-clicked Tool Bar > Panel > Panel Preferences, and tried different settings
- Launched the "Welcome Screen" from the applications menu (as another thread suggested) in order to change "Layout," but that section is not present.

Additonal Info:
- I use Timeshift, so I could just reload a backup from a few days ago, however I would like to use this as a learning opportunity so I can remedy this myself in the future, rather than defaulting to booting a backup.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zay_rob
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Desktop Layout changed overnight and I don't know how to revert my changes

Post by zay_rob »

Update:

viewtopic.php?t=318007
I found this Linux Mint thread and followed the steps. It did not fix the issue. This is whats on terminal:

Code: Select all

(wrapper-2.0:6477): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 10:19:02.074: g_file_new_for_path: assertion 'path != NULL' failed

(wrapper-2.0:6477): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 10:19:02.074: g_file_monitor_file: assertion 'G_IS_FILE (file)' failed

(wrapper-2.0:6477): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 10:19:02.074: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(wrapper-2.0:6477): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 10:19:02.074: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(wrapper-2.0:6477): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:19:02.074: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkToggleButton to a container of type XfcePanelPlugin, but the widget is already inside a container of type XfcePanelPlugin, please remove the widget from its existing container first.

(wrapper-2.0:6475): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:19:02.087: Negative content width -1 (allocation 1, extents 1x1) while allocating gadget (node button, owner PulseaudioButton)

(wrapper-2.0:6477): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:19:02.122: Negative content width -1 (allocation 1, extents 1x1) while allocating gadget (node button, owner GtkToggleButton)

(wrapper-2.0:6476): Gtk-WARNING **: 10:19:02.135: Negative content width -1 (allocation 1, extents 1x1) while allocating gadget (node button, owner PowerManagerButton)
Hope this piece of information helps.
zay_rob
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Desktop Layout changed overnight and I don't know how to revert my changes

Post by zay_rob »

After a second try with the above steps, I was able to resolve the issue (perhaps I missed entering a line the first time around).

However, upon restarting my PC, the resolution was stuck at a really low resolution (sub 720p).

https://imgur.com/a/HTn0kld

As you can see in the image, terminal takes up the whole screen and the toolbar is smushed along the bottom. I was able to resolve this by reinstalling my Nvidia Drivers (nvidia-driver-460) and restarting my PC twice.

Hope this helps for anyone else that comes across this issue!

Return to “Xfce”