[Problem gone] Xorg/xfce not running with Nvida graphics on first login

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintmdrescher
Level 1
Level 1

[Problem gone] Xorg/xfce not running with Nvida graphics on first login

Post by mintmdrescher »

Hi list members,

I have a bit of a strange problem here. This is a home theater system, running latest Mint and a GeForce GTX 1650 with the recommended latest Nividia driver. At first, this was just working well out of the box. Then I must have changed something, which made things odd. On boot, a default user is automatically logged in with no password.
- Graphics looks a bit rough, but somehow works. The resolution and identified monitor is not what would be expected.
- Nvidia kernel module is loaded.
- nvidia-smi does not show any running processes. There should be /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg and xfwm4 running.
- nvidia-settings reports "unable to load info from any available system".
- Audio via HDMI is shown as "unplugged" in the Pulseaudio settings, so does not work at all.

Now, I can log off from this session and wait for the next automatic login. Exact same user, no reboot, just log in again: All is fine.
Any idea, what happens here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Xorg/xfce not running with Nvida graphics on first login

Post by SMG »

Given your description, I suspect just running Ctl-Alt-Backspace to restart the X Server (instead of logging out and in again) would also work. I think your problem is similar to the one in this thread [SOLVED] NVIDIA driver failing sometimes on boot ("no hardware acceleration"). Let us know if the fix roblm recommends in the second post addresses the issue for you.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
mintmdrescher
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Problem gone] Xorg/xfce not running with Nvida graphics on first login

Post by mintmdrescher »

Sorry I did not notice this post earlier. And I can not tell, if this would work, because the problem is just gone. Which is strange, because I did not touch this system since then.

But thanks anyway!

Return to “Xfce”