Expected operation of lightdm autologin

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amk52
Level 1
Level 1

Expected operation of lightdm autologin

Post by amk52 »

Hi,

I have installed a Mint system for a less experienced user, it is Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia. Lightdm and xfce. Fully up to date, using automatic login with timeout, normally with one user anyway. It is working fine for several months, I perform maintenance remotely over ssh.

Now I am at the desktop and got surprised by operation of the system regarding login. From Ubuntu I am used to see a countdown during automatic login that allows to cancel it. This should not be a big deal, there is always a possibility to logout... BUT ... the automatic login triggers again, loading the default user back before I can type the password of the other user. SImilar happens when selecting option to switch user.

Another surprise is that when I manage to type the password fast enough, I get to my admin account... BUT ... after screen saver activates and locks the session, again the system enters to the desktop of the default user.

My attempts to search for some background allowed me only to find requests to enable or disable autologin entirely. Some users were looking for hints of configuring what I see - to restart default session whenever the user manages to logout. For this kind of application I would simply skip greeter entirely.

My expectation of autologin setting is that it should apply only for the first start of the greeter and it should allow to cancel it so that someone else can also login. Am I the only one thinking this way so it was removed from the code? Is configured auto user expected to apply also after selecting other user from the list? Is it expected to apply also when other user is logged in but locks the session?

Now I am not certain whether I have something misconfigured or the cause is with LightDM or some other part of this Mint system. I would appreciate any hint or pointers, ready to report this and contribute to a correction, if applicable.

Thanks in advance
amk
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Xfce”