USB sticks not auto displayed on DT in 20.2

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

USB sticks not auto displayed on DT in 20.2

Post by How-old! »

New disc, new installation, 20.2. Since v14.0, plugging in USB gives auto display but not on 20.2. Read lots of posts about this on Google/Interweb/etc, visited the Disks app in menu, adjusted Edit Mount Options, nothing makes the USB stick auto-appear. Tried range of CLI commands suggested on Web. Don't know whether relevant why two FDD icons and another rogue device come up on DT although none exist!
What has changed in 20.2?! Please help - out of my depth, run out of suggestions, something I've not understood - obviously! Thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Re: USB sticks not auto displayed on DT in 20.2

Post by t42 »

Left click on the Desktop --> Desktop Settings... --> Icons tab --> Default Icons --> Removable Drives [check] --> Discks and Drives [check]
03-23.png
-=t42=-
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

t42 - many thanks. Hadn't noticed there is a sub-menu for Discs and Drives - (was it in earlier versions?). Anyway, ticked it now, did updates, rebooted and the USB drive still doesn't appear on DT or any menus when plugged in???
This is not the same for all previous versions from v14 up to and including v20.1. Is there's something else needed for v20.2? No problems when earlier versions updated to 20.2 but the facility already worked for those? Puzzled in Plymouth, Portsmouth and Pyle.

re.another rogue device above - it was/is an EFI icon that appears - never use it!
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

I'm using Cinnamon mainly, but I think it is possible to hide EFI from desktop appending noauto option to this partition in /etc/fstab
-=t42=-
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

Managed to hide EFI and floppies but cannot get auto-USB displaying on plugging in.
Thinking maybe delete everything, install 20.1, then upgrade because I know that works!
Not very elegant but is there something the team needs to know about 20.2 Xfce? Or is it just me...
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

How-old! wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:50 pm Managed to hide EFI and floppies but cannot get auto-USB displaying on plugging in.
Not in my experience. USBs are showing up on my new Mint XFCE 20.2 installation with settings set on the screenshot above. If you hid EFI with fstab auto option it should be OK.
-=t42=-
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

Unable to resolve this issue.
New SSD is SATAIII but supposed to be backwards compatible and, indeed, everything else works, all machines. Done several re-installs using older machines and latest HW - no differences. However, when reinstalled with original full release of Xfce 20.1, USB hot-plugging shows icon immediately and can be opened. All the options in the Removable Devices are ticked by default and no sign of rogue EFI & FDD icons.
When v20.1 update is applied the initially absent EFI & FDD ghosted icons appear in DT until Other Devices is unticked from the sub-menu. Same thing in fresh v20.2 install - all sub-menu items are ticked by default.
Inevitable conclusion is that something was changed in the code for v20.1 update and whatever it was persists in v20.2. Who should I report this to? Can completely rule out HW being responsible as new disc with v20.1 pre-update displays hot-plugged USB sticks even when all sub-menu items are ticked, ie Network Shares, Discs & Drives, and Other Devices allegedly activated. Checked conclusions with Intel & AMD cpu, onboard & plugged-in Rad &nV video cards, minimal 2Gb memory and 16Gb, DT & laptop machines. That's a lot of testing!
Many thanks for staying with it, t42.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

here is my fstab line for external sata3 usb, did you try such explicit record?

Code: Select all

UUID=9bbb9977-5209-490b-8653-1df80127d8d3 /media/USER/MP-LM192  ext4    noauto,noatime,errors=remount-ro 0       0
UUID=51F85B8725AABA89 /media/USER/MP1-NT ntfs noauto,noatime,errors=remount-ro 0 0
and last remark - I think it makes sense to install kernel from good older system and boot with it, just for troubleshooting.
-=t42=-
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

Probably not? fstab is a bit beyond my pay grade! My expertise is in HW rather than SW. Can do simple CLI ops like cat, etc and general search & fix but need the sort of guidance Jesse provides on DW for more estoterica! All my discs, rotating & SSD, are on caddies for main machine, but swapping into and out of others is 'manual'! Notwithstanding, my analysis is rigorous; further depth is always possible with explicit advice. Receptive to advice from kind guys with patience...
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

Finally got the correct answer. Have to go to 'Disks' in 'Menu'. All except very oldest USB sticks or 'funny formats' are listed. Select yours, usually the last on the list. not obvious, but clicking the first option give list of options including 'Mount' !!
Why 'mounting' is no longer a default eludes me. Some of these coders are too smart for their own good...

Return to “Xfce”