Windows lost borders

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
luggw1
Level 2
Level 2

Windows lost borders

Post by luggw1 »

My Dad's computer is running 20.2, XFCE. Yesterday he installed the latest set of updates after which it told him he needed to change mirrors. He clicked OK, but didn't know how to proceed (and I wasn't around to help him). He mentioned something about the three Optional Sources switches being off, but he didn't realize it. I told him they should be off and all was well. The problem is that when he was finished (without changing mirrors), he'd lost his desktop background image, all the open windows have not borders or title bars and none of the open windows show up in the task bar now. I also don't get a context menu on a right click on the desktop.

Can anyone tell me how I can restore the window borders and task bar functionality (I know how to get his desktop image back)?

Thanks
Bill Lugg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Windows lost borders

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

In order to get a minimal working desktop you can try to open a command line (Alt+ F2) or a terminal (Alt+Ctrl +T) and run xfwm4 --replace or metacity --replace.

Post back inxi -Fxxxzr result.

Once you have rebooted twice, if problem persists, you can discard a problem due to kernel updates booting with an old kernel in GRUB menu>Advanced options.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.

Return to “Xfce”