MS RDP connection to Mint XFCE running XRDP modifies XFCE desktop layout

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CloisteredNeuron
Level 1
Level 1

MS RDP connection to Mint XFCE running XRDP modifies XFCE desktop layout

Post by CloisteredNeuron »

Update. When I first asked about this I did not realize that remoting into the VM running XRDP and MIntXFCE from MS RDP was causing the problem and gave this a subject of: "Mint XFCE desktop changes to default XFCE layout after a couple reboots"

I've installed linuxmint-20.2-xfce-64bit.iso in a Windows 10 Pro Hyper-V VM. After a couple reboots the desktop changes as shown in:

I've reinstalled linuxmint-20.2-xfce-64bit.iso a couple times and after a couple reboots the desktop always changes. Any suggestions on preventing this or reverting to the standard desktop?

I've also installed linuxmint-20.2-mate-64bit.iso in a Windows 10 Pro Hyper-V VM and the desktop does not change.

There is a similar [Solved] problem here - viewtopic.php?t=318007 from April 2020.

The solution was to run:

Code: Select all

xfce4-panel --quit ; pkill xfconfd ; rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/panel ; rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml ; xfce4-panel
When I run this the terminal hangs on xfce4-panel but the desktop DOES change back to normal UNTIL I terminate the terminal window. The [Solved] forum post stated the reason for this was unknown and in my case the solution does not work as the terminal locks up and once the terminal is terminated the dispaly reverts to:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint XFCE desktop changes to default XFCE layout after a couple reboots

Post by xenopeek »

I don't know what or why is happening but the part where your terminal "locks up" and closing it reverts your desktop is probably solvable.

What happens with the command is you kill the Xfce panel, restore its configuration and then restart the Xfce panel. The way the Xfce panel is restarted makes it run as a foreground child process of the command shell. That makes the shell wait for the Xfce panel to complete (which it doesn't until you log out/reboot/shut down) and closing the terminal will kill its child processes, in this case the shell and its child process the Xfce panel.

Try the command like this (this is one line):
xfce4-panel --quit ; pkill xfconfd ; rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/panel ; rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml ; nohup setsid xfce4-panel >/dev/null
nohup disconnects xfce4-panel from shell's input or hangup signals, setsid makes xfce4-panel a background process and removes it from the shell's jobs table and the >/dev/null redirects any output of xfce4-panel to the eternal bit fields (discards all output). This should make it so the terminal doesn't lock up and closing the terminal doesn't kill Xfce panel.
CloisteredNeuron
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks xenopeek. I tried adding & disown to the command like:

xfce4-panel --quit ; pkill xfconfd ; rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/panel ; rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml ; xfce4-panel & disown
and the desktop changes were saved after I rebooted the VM at least 5 times.

As soon as I connect to the VM using an MS RDP client and XRDP on MintXFCE the desktop reverts. After logging into the MintXFCE VM on my Windows 10 Pro machine I was able to execute the xfce4-panel code (the code ran with errors using MS RDP and did not change the desktop config), and the desktop was back to the Mint standard and remained that way after multiple reboots.

So the repeatable problem is why does MS RDP/XRDP/MintXFCE interaction cause the XFCE desktop config to change. MintMate somehow gets around the problem.

Is there a way to run this by the Mint developers?

One question developers might have is how XRDP is installed. I detail that in another question viewtopic.php?f=52&t=364072&p=2113551#p2113551 but the commands are:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xrdp
sudo ufw allow 3389/tcp
sudo vi /etc/xrdp/sesman.ini
Under [Chansrv] add: FuseMountName=.thinclient_drives

In the other question MintXFCE handles file copy and paste operations just fine but MintMate fails to copy and paste files from Windows into MintMate.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

CloisteredNeuron wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:01 amso the repeatable problem is why does MS RDP/XRDP/MintXFCE interaction cause the XFCE desktop config to change
You may want to edit your first post in this topic to make that more clear (click the pencil icon button in the top right). Change the subject on the first post also updates the subject for the topic itself. At least add something about XRDP I think, that way users that have experience with XRDP can spot it and maybe help with troubleshooting.

I know nothing about XRDP so can't help more. Hopefully somebody else has experience with a similar setup but it may be a bit out there. Might this topic better be moved to the Virtual Machines forum?

If troubleshooting can narrow down the cause of the issue to a component developed or maintained by the Linux Mint developers they can get involved.
CloisteredNeuron
Level 1
Level 1

Re: MS RDP connection to Mint XFCE running XRDP modifies XFCE desktop layout

Great call on updating the post's subject. I've updated it to "MS RDP connection to Mint XFCE running XRDP modifies XFCE desktop layout".

The Virtual Machines forum is a good candidate for this subject as XRDP seems to be causing problems with XFCE. As XRDP is not causing problems with Mate I'd like to keep it here for a bit longer and then move it to Virtual Machines if not resolved.

Do you know how I can move this subject to the Virtual Machines forum? I did not see an option for that when I clicked on the pencil (thanks for so clearly explaining how to change the subject :D ).

Also do you know how I can bring this problem to the attention of the development team? My Dec 26, 2021 5:01 am post on this subject should allow the developers to see the problem in action and identify the settings which are being impacted by this problem:

xfce4-panel --quit ; pkill xfconfd ; rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/panel ; rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml ; xfce4-panel & disown
The developers could then assess if it is a problem with the code they maintain.

And one more question. I'd be happy to download another XFCE distro and see if I'm getting similar results with MS RDP and XRDP. Do you know of another distro which uses a version of XFCE similar to Mint XFCE? If I find the problem across more than one XFCE distro I'll post on forum.xfce.org.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

CloisteredNeuron wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:18 pmDo you know how I can move this subject to the Virtual Machines forum?
You can't do that yourself. You can ask in this topic (I'll spot it) or in general you would click the exclamation point icon button in the top right corner of a post to report it to the moderators. You can put "something else" as reason and then put a short message with your request like this.
CloisteredNeuron wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:18 pmAlso do you know how I can bring this problem to the attention of the development team? […] The developers could then assess if it is a problem with the code they maintain.
I can understand wanting to reach out but their troubleshooting guide tells to first take help from support forums or IRC in narrowing down the responsible component. That's what the support channels are for, help with troubleshooting. Right now I'm suspecting something in Xfce or the window manager you're using (Xfce ships with multiple window managers) to have some problem with xrdp. Meaning the Linux Mint developers can't do much for you as they don't develop that code.
CloisteredNeuron wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:18 pmAnd one more question. I'd be happy to download another XFCE distro and see if I'm getting similar results with MS RDP and XRDP. Do you know of another distro which uses a version of XFCE similar to Mint XFCE? If I find the problem across more than one XFCE distro I'll post on forum.xfce.org.
That sounds like a plan!

Linux Mint 20.2 uses Ubuntu 20.04 LTS as a package base but adds a newer version of Xfce to it. According to https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resou ... =xfdesktop the first Xubuntu (Ubuntu+Xfce) version that also has Xfce 4.16 is Xubuntu 21.04. Download from here: https://xubuntu.org/release/21-04/. It does however introduce a lot of other differences as it uses a different package base (Ubuntu 21.04 is a year newer than Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) but as you've already determined the issue does not happen for Linux Mint 20.2 MATE I think it's fine to narrow down on Xfce. But if it's not reproducible on Xubuntu 21.04 you might still try if it's reproducible on Linux Mint 20 (no .2) or Xubuntu 20.04.

As for the window manager, I don't know if it plays (or even can play) a role in this but you might try switching to another as a test on Linux Mint 20.2. From your menu open Desktop Settings (not "Desktop", but "Desktop Settings") and you can switch the window manager there. Default is Xfwm4+Compositing.
CloisteredNeuron
Level 1
Level 1

I really appreciate your outstanding clarity :D

I'll give Xubuntu 21.04 a try and update the thread with my results.
CloisteredNeuron
Level 1
Level 1

I installed Xubuntu 21.04 on a Windows 10 Pro Hyper-V VM and using MS RDP to connect to Xubuntu 21.04 running XRDP resulted in no changes to the desktop interface. I shutdown and restarted the Xubuntu 21.04 VM five times and still encountered no problems when connecting with MS RDP.

I went back to Mint XFCE and tried switching to each of the window managers under "Desktop Settings" with no change in the desktop.

Next I went back to testing Mint XFCE and noticed something. As long as I logged into and out of the Mint XFCE VM before connecting to it via RDP I experienced no change in the desktop. Within Hyper-V you start a VM as headless, run it as a window, or run it as a window and close the window yet keep the VM running.

There is something that occurs within the Mint XFCE login process which must occur before an RDP connection can be made.

Maybe the developers could turn on logging for two login paths. 1. Restart VM, log into the VM and log out, RDP into VM 2. Restart VM, RDP into VM.

Easier than that compare the configuration files which deal with login and remote login between the two Mint versions after installing XRDP.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint 20.2 Xfce use LightDM with slick-greeter for the login screen. Xubuntu 21.04 also uses LightDM but instead uses lightdm-gtk-greeter as the greeter.

Linux Mint 20.2 MATE uses the same greeter as 20.2 Xfce so it's not an obvious red flag but you could try on a Linux Mint 20.2 Xfce to:
apt install lightdm-gtk-greeter lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings
apt purge slick-greeter

And reboot the VM to retest.

If it doesn't make a difference you can swap the apt install for apt purge and vice versa, to remove the lightdm-gtk-greeter packages and reinstall slick-greeter.
CloisteredNeuron
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it both ways on Linux Mint 20.2 Xfce and the desktop changed both ways. First using:

sudo apt install lightdm-gtk-greeter lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings
sudo apt purge slick-greeter
Other than the login page changing, everthing was fine until I logged in via RDP without first logging into Linux Mint 20.2 Xfce on the Win10 Pro VM server.

I reset the environment with:

Rebooted and the Linux Mint 20.2 Xfce desktop was back to normal running on the Win10 Pro VM server. I then reversed the install/purge:

sudo apt install slick-greeter
sudo apt purge lightdm-gtk-greeter lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings
Next I shut down Linux Mint 20.2 Xfce and started it but did not login. Then I logged in via RDP without first logging into Linux Mint 20.2 Xfce on the Win10 Pro VM server and the desktop changed.
CloisteredNeuron
Level 1
Level 1

Xenopeek,

I was looking at the github for reporting errors and ran across issue 322 after reading through https://linuxmint-troubleshooting-guide ... index.html. Reading through some of the potential issues I found you were helping out over there as well. Thanks!

In response to issue 322 I created issue 448. If this can be done with github I think it could really help with getting quality issue reports to the developers. The text of 448 follows:

Suggestion: Reduce Wasted Developer Time with Required Issue Data and Non-developer Triage

I believe a more formulaic procedure for describing a potential issue will benefit Linux Mint. I think there should be a series of input sections requiring an issue reporter to provide the type of issue (bug/upgrade), Linux mint version, observation, expectation, reproducibility, responsibility, change, environment, and errors. After providing this input the reporter should be asked a series of questions to help identify if the problem is with Mint or Upstream.

Once the issue description is completed and submitted by the reporter a Mint resource would then review the issue section by section. In the event there is a problem in any section the Mint resource will flag the section and the issue will be kicked back to a queue only viewable by the reporter along with an email notification. The email notification will identify the section in question along with a link to a resource similar to https://linuxmint-troubleshooting-guide ... index.html. The issue reporter may then update the issue and resubmit.

In the event the Mint resource finds no significant issue with the potential issue and the issue should be reviewed by the development team it will be copied to a queue available for review by all developers or perhaps a subset who defines priorities. In the issue list available to all issue reporters the issue’s status will be changed to under review.

Benefits:

This procedure keeps multiple developers from reviewing the same issue. The issue reporter will be prompted to enter sections for all required information. In the event issue documentation needs to be tweaked the reporter can be prompted to do so. Odds are higher a significant issue will not be ignored as information required for evaluation will be required from the issue reporter. A non-development Mint resource can be used to triage potential issues. Issue reporters will feel more vested in the process as they see the issue status change to under review.

I was inspired to write this after reading https://github.com/linuxmint/linuxmint/ ... issues/322.
beetking
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beetking »

Hi @CloisteredNeuron
I would like to say that I have the exact same issue which you are discussing Did you ever find a solution?

To recap:
When you connect via windows RDP session to an XFCE session without first having logged in locally on the Mint XFCE 20.2 & 20.3 the desktop gets displayed without the xfce whisker menu at the bottom.
If you log in locally first then log out then do a windows RDP connection, the desktop is displayed with the xfce whisker menu.

I've confirmed that this does not happen with 20.2 Mate and XRDP
I've also confirmed that this occurs with Xubuntu 20.04.3
I've confirmed that this does not occur with Xubuntu 21.10

I've also have attempted to build the latest XRDP from source in my linux Mint Xfce (20.03) system. The same issue applies Updating to from xrdp version 0.9.12 to 0.9.18 did not change the situation.

@MintXFCE:/etc$  lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Linuxmint
Description:	Linux Mint 20.3
Release:	20.3
Codename:	una
@MintXFCE:/etc$  xrdp -v
xrdp 0.9.18
  A Remote Desktop Protocol Server.
  Copyright (C) 2004-2020 Jay Sorg, Neutrino Labs, and all contributors.
  See https://github.com/neutrinolabs/xrdp for more information.

Configure options:
      --enable-jpeg
      --enable-simplesound

Compiled with OpenSSL 1.1.1f  31 Mar 2020
@MintXFCE:/etc$ 
Cheers

Return to “Xfce”