Desktop icons for SSHfs mounts

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
becker44a
Level 1
Level 1

Desktop icons for SSHfs mounts

Post by becker44a »

My normal environment is Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon 64-bit, and I'm quite happy with it. I have seen a good many comments about Xfce, how light & responsive it is, so I decided to load it in a VM, to see how I liked it. I have built a VirtualBox VM and loaded Mint 21 Xfce for the testing. I have been able to load and configure all the applications I use, with 1 (not critical) exception. I have a Synology 2-drive Network storage device, which I access via SSHfs mounts. This all works extremely well under Cinnamon.

I have noticed that Xfce/Thunar does NOT display Desktop icons for active/mounted SSHfs connections, although it does for USB storage devices. Cinnamon/Nemo does display Desktop icons for active SSHfs mounts, and I find this behavior rather useful. Searching or experimenting, I have not found a way to get Xfce/Thunar to display these icons.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how this could be done? Any setting, plugin or extension? Any/all assistance would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Fri May 26, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
becker44a
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Desktop icons for SSHfs mounts

Post by becker44a »

Well, I have answered my own question. Since my SSHfs mounts and unmounts are handled in Bash scripts, I added some code to unhide icons on mount, hide them on unmount. This was a simple matter of renaming the icon file in ~/Desktop to have or not have a "." (dot) prefix. I manually created launcher icons for Thunar for each mountpoint, with the Working directory set to the mount path. Works well, no arcane stuff to unscramble later!

Return to “Xfce”