[SOLVED] How do I remove GNOME 3 DE from Xfce?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kreative
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] How do I remove GNOME 3 DE from Xfce?

Post by Kreative »

I'm still using LM 20.1 Xfce and decided to test Cinnamon DE somehow or another GNOME 3 DE came along for the ride too... I did NOT LIKE how Cinnamon handled "Lots of Favorites [No Button/Folder]" and was removed w/o a problem. G3 is still there; which complicates maters since I know Xfce uses some parts of MATE/GNOME 3 and did not want to make maters worse.

There's a reason why I left GNOME 3 on Fedora, years ago for Xfce DE... Hold the pickles, hold the lettuces, special orders really upset us! You can't have it, any way you want it!

Xfce will let me do almost anything; for example look like Classic Xfce, Windows, macOS, MATE or even GNOME 3 w/ desktop icons!
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scjet45
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How do I remove GNOME 3 DE from Xfce?

Post by scjet45 »

viewtopic.php?p=2188921#p2188921
installing Mate and Cinnamon is possible, just like LXDE and Openbox, ..., but generally, installing multiple DE's together, (like XFCE and Cinnamon or Gnome ...) is NOT advisable, for obvious reasons.
that said, you can try:

Code: Select all

sudo apt remove gnome
sudo apt autoremove
and/or,

Code: Select all

sudo apt remove cinnamon-desktop-environment
sudo apt autoremove
(UPDATE: oops typo above -fixed.)

anyway, I have no idea how you installed cinnamon and/or gnome with your xfce desktop, but it might save you oodles of time and headaches, to just backup your important stuff, and simply re-install a clean LM 20.1 Xfce.

Normally, I dual or triple boot with small separate partitions or drives, if I want to play with multiple OS'/DE's, ..., and that way, they can't "pollute" each other, Or,
if your machine is powerful enough, use Virtual Environments to install multiple OS's/DE's.
imho.
Last edited by scjet45 on Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MATE 21.3 | Lenovo Legion 5 17ACH6
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

This sounds like the exact kind of thing a Timeshift snapshot restore is made for.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Moem wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:54 am This sounds like the exact kind of thing a Timeshift snapshot restore is made for.
Yup, pretty much. It saved me from my stupidity once. Stupidity because I knew better.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I actually very much doubt that Gnome 3 was installed along with Cinnamon, I don't think it would have been available at the time that release came out. I suspect it was just a bunch of old libraries used for compatibility.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:30 am I suspect it was just a bunch of old libraries used for compatibility.
That actually seems highly likely, we've seen other users wondering recently why there were 'Cinnamon packages' in their Mate or XFCE installations. This could be a similar thing.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Kreative
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kreative »

To clear things up, which was my bad.... Cinnamon was installed using "Software Manager" on LM 20.1 Xfce.

Also installed "GNOME Tweak + System Monitor" which shows 600kb more usage than Xfce Task Manager.

During Login I can Select between Cinnamon, Ubuntu GNOME 3, Xfce Default DE. Cinnamon UN-installed w/o a problem, however G3 remains.
scjet45
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scjet45 »

Kreative wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:21 pm ... Cinnamon UN-installed w/o a problem, however G3 remains.
Just to clarify, did you use any kinda weird instruction advice (post/modifying certain config files, ...) when installing Ubuntu's G3(Gnome 3) DE on u're Linux Mint xfce, and if so, can you reverse uninstall it. ?

(Linux Mint) Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce "ALL" use GTK3* libraries now with certain UI modifications to a degree, but if you've been unsuccessful in removing Gnome then try to narrow down the culprit packages and dependencies, and remove them as well.
Unfortunately, you need to be careful here, because you may end up with a broken Xfce environment.
So, the point again is, back to my original advice: backup your important stuff and just cleanly reinstall LM Xfce.

and as @Moem has mentioned, (if you have the drive space), a Timeshift backup snapshot would've been ideal in this scenario.
MATE 21.3 | Lenovo Legion 5 17ACH6
Kreative
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Re: How do I remove GNOME 3 DE from Xfce?

Post by Kreative »

I just removed Gnome-shell that was the problem.

Thanks everyone for the help 8)

Return to “Xfce”