[SOLVED] Thunar file manager: how to deselect something without leaving the directory?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spamhog
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Thunar file manager: how to deselect something without leaving the directory?

Post by spamhog »

TL;DR

Unlike some other file managers, F5 - Ctrl+R - Esc don't deselect.

Assume thunar is set to "select item by hovering, open with single click" :

Ctrl + Shift + A
deselects, if cursor is hovering on an item, it stays as hand,
but does not re-select until moved to above another item

AltGr + X
deselects, if cursor is hovering it changes from hand to arrowtip,
it stays as an arrowtip also if moved to another item and does not select it
a single click does nothing, double click turns it into hand and issues "open" command.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
residual question:
Can a custom action with a different keyboard shortcut
pass an existing keyboard shortcut or action back to thunar
instead of a text command to the CLI?
I can't find deselect - unselect - undo or the like in ~/.config/Thunar/accels.scm .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

original message

I often find myself with Thunar open on a given directory, and one or more files or folders highlighted = selected.

I can't find a way to deselect the file(s) without umping out of the directory and jumping back in.

I tried adding the custom actions thunar %D or thunar . which would open an (unnecessary) instance without selections in the current directory but but they don't do anything, and ctrl+t already does open an (unnecessary) new tab without selections.

Is there faster a way
e.g. by keyboard shortcut or custom action,
to deselect files?

(No, inverting selection - F5 - Ctrl+R - Esc don't deselect. :D )
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Thunar file manager: how to deselect something without leaving the directory?

Post by deck_luck »

spamhog wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:43 pm I often find myself with Thunar open on a given directory, and one or more files or folders highlighted = selected.

I can't find a way to deselect the file(s) without umping out of the directory and jumping back in.
If you want to deselect a previously highlighted file, you can hold down the control key and click the file to deselect it. The other files will still be highlighted. If this does not work for you please provide the Thunar version (help->About) and the Linux Mint version (lsb_release -sd).
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
spamhog
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Thunar file manager: how to deselect something without leaving the directory?

Post by spamhog »

Thank you deck_luck!

Thunar 4.16.10 on Linux Mint 21.1 .

I don't want to deselect one previously selectred file by Ctrl+clicking on it .

I am seeking a faster a way to deselect files by keyboard shortcut.

It can be a command be built-in and undocumented.
(I'm satisfied there isn't such a thing in the Thunar dcumentation).

Or a custom action, in which case a command like might do one of the following

- either fully REFRESH the current tab WITH DESELECTION, i.e. different from Ctrl+R

- or CLOSE AND REOPEN the current tab onto the current directory without affecting the other tabs

- or MOVE the location of the current tab to e.g. 1 level up (Open the Parent Folder arow) and back in (Go Back)

The last option exists, sort of: Alt+Up then Alt+Left or Alt+Right then Alt+Left
but 1) it's 2-step, 2) it requires "Back" or "Forward" to be available, which is history dependent.

Also tried Alt+X and AltGr+X and seem to be doing something right but one or the other gets trapped earlier in the tree and killy the X session. :lol: :lol: :lol: Details soon! :D

FOUND IT - somewhat awkward
AltGR + X works
deselects any selectd items
single click does nothing
double click issues "open" command.

I might have zapped X with a different key combination, not Alt + X.

Can a custom action pass an existing keystroke combination back to thunar and bind to a more convenient keyboard shortcot?
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: [PARTLY SOLVED] Thunar file manager: how to deselect something without leaving the directory?

Post by zcot »

ctrl + shift + A to deselect all
spamhog
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [PARTLY SOLVED] Thunar file manager: how to deselect something without leaving the directory?

Post by spamhog »

DUH ! <multiple-facepalm> Thank you!

Return to “Xfce”