Safe way to remove GNOME

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sourwire

Safe way to remove GNOME

Post by sourwire »

Hello, I recently installed Xfce and want to remove GNOME. The reason I'm doing it is because I don't want GNOME apps to interfere with Xfce ones (Nautilus and Thunar for example). I was wondering if there is a safe way that I can do that without messing up my whole system. Should I just do it with Synaptic and see what happens?
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

So you installed the xfce desktop environment in a normal Cassandra?
You should be able to have several desktops, but as you suspect there might (just might) be a conflict between different apps.
Gnome is a bunch of applications in Synaptics :)
sourwire

Post by sourwire »

Yeah, I used Synaptic to install all the Xfce packages I needed. Then in gdm, I chose xfce as the default session (but then again, gdm is a part of gnome). So got rid of some apps like nautilus and other ones I was sure I didn't need. So far, everything is working fine. I plan to remove more more gnome packages as I go along.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Just keep a record of what you remove so you can reinstall it if needed - dependencies you know :)

Return to “Xfce”