Xfce 9 Isadora development(Released)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Xfce 9 Isadora development(Released)

Post by merlwiz79 »

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1505

I have just gotten my wifes old laptop setup to work on the Xfce Edition.
This weekend we plan on tearing apart the computer room.
We hope to get rid of all the junk and rearranged it this weekend.
This means I won't have much time to work on the Xfce edition this weekend.
I hope to get a really good start next week.
I have worked on some packages but not many.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 9 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FedoraRefugee

Re: Xfce 9 Isadora development

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Life comes first! When you get to it you get to it. For now Mint 8 Xfce is humming along fine and I am kind of loath to upgrade when I just did a few short months ago. :D

Thank you once again for all your work.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Take your time ... I know you want to do it right the first time.

Like FedoraRefugee said ... Mint-8 Xfce CE is awesomes!! I can wait a while. No problem.

Besides, I have plenty of other 'new' distros to play in Virtualbox. :P
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

I'm thinking of trying Mint 8 Xfce in the meantime. So far I have not come across an Xfce distro that has been suitable (Xubuntu 10.04) or that even works for me (Fedora 13; gdm fails to login and a runlevel 3 login leaves me with a desktop missing most functionality). This is quite a pain, because I always use GNOME and want to try something different, and I can't get attached to KDE.

EDIT: Mint 8 Xfce is only x86 is it not?
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

yes, just 32 bit. Mint 9 Xfce should be both if I am understanding correctly.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Well the LXDE edition should have a RC released soon and the KDE edition has a dev release to get some bugs in the mint apps fixed.
I want to get the Xfce edition released as soon as I can after the main editions once again.
The last couple releases took way too long to release.
Most of the problem was just not having time to work on it.
Now I still am busy but trying to use any time I get to work on it.
The laptop will help a lot for the 32 bit edition.

Linux Mint 8 Xfce CE was only released as a 32bit edition(x86).
mikhou

Post by mikhou »

I know, I know. "It's ready when it's ready." I've currently got LM9 installed with the XFCE meta package installed on top of it. I still haven't decided which DE I like better. I don't notice a huge improvement in performance, but I'm also running a fairly new computer. I really want to try an LM XFCE edition, but I can't decide if I want to try LM8 that's available now or LM9 whenever it will be available.

Are we thinking weeks or months (if I may ask)?

I know, I know. "It's ready when it's ready." :-)

mikhou
Hezy

Post by Hezy »

My install of Mint Xfce 8 is still fresh and new. Although it was easy and fast to install, it will take at least another month before I'm ready to install all over again...

Merlwiz, I have a question. Xfce 4.6.2 was out a few days ago, but I guess it is not yet in the Ubuntu repositories. Even when it will be it will probably be only in 10.10. How does this effect your work?
Mdyter

Post by Mdyter »

will xfce 9 be built on Xfce 4.6.2?
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Mdyter wrote:will xfce 9 be built on Xfce 4.6.2?
Mint-9 Xfce will be built on the same platform/template as was Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid ... I don't believe there will be any drastic changes.
Except, for the new Mint specific Applications.
marcelpoulin

Post by marcelpoulin »

I'm sure looking forward to the release since so far the distro that has worked best for me is Helena Xfce. Have it on my L300d Toshiba along with mint 9 and vista.
Mint 9 looks fabulus but I just can't get Skype to work right on it so it is useless to me since Skype is my main phone. On Xfce it works like a charm maybe due to the fact that it is not using pulse audio. Really looking forward to Isadora.
Many thanks for your hard work Marcel
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

@marcelpoulin: Please don't bother a developers thread with software issues without pointing out your problem in a more appropiate topic.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Please please pullleeeeeease, no PulseAudio in Mint 9!

I've been playing with Xubuntu Lucid for a few weeks and frankly, it rocks! Except that they've now added PulseAudio and it's hit-or-miss all the time. I removed PulseAudio (replacing it with Esound) and it seems to be okay.

The other problem I have with Xubuntu Lucid has been the new Thunderbird. Omygosh. It's nice how it automagically configures my gmail with only a username and password, but whoa. It instantly created a half-dozen new folders and started a huge, ginormous download of my entire gmail history, including the trash! For goodnessakes, it's downloading the trash!? I stopped it, went to webmail and emptied every folder, but wow. Thunderbird 2.0 was much easier for a simple kid like me. And the newest Firefox crashes alot too... I replaced the both with the SeaMonkey suite and it's kinda sorta mostly better, but SeaMonkey also closes unexpectedly right in the middle of stuff. Grrr.

I never had any of those problems with Mint 8 Xfce - still the bestest, most awesomest distro in the history of ever (for me).

I'm actually scared that when Mint 9 Xfce is ready it will have the same bugs, and a long-term-support version just shouldn't!

So pretty pretty please with strawberries and whipped cream on top, leave PulseAudio out and please include a way for users to get "legacy" versions of Thunderbird and Firefox.

I'll be sooooo very grateful!
marcelpoulin

Post by marcelpoulin »

thx1138. So sorry if I offended you by mentioning a previous problem in this thread. Be aware that the reason for that post was to thank merlwiz79 for the fine work he is doing and suggest that I think that the next Xfce might be better without Pulse Audio if that is possible. Have a good day Marcel
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I think that Xubuntu accidentally left pulse in.
It's a recommended package from totem I think.
Both are not going to be in Xfce 9 Isadora.

On my Xubuntu install Firefox hasn't crashed once.
I have removed almost everything that's not going to be on the iso.
I am testing a few packages I have built.

Why doesn't my android phone have spell check in the browser? :(
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Robin wrote:a long-term-support version just shouldn't!
Being an LTS doesn't mean it shouldn't have bugs.
Robin

Post by Robin »

randomizer wrote: Being an LTS doesn't mean it shouldn't have bugs.
Agreed, of course, and in time I think they'll be worked out, too. That's why it's pro'lly best to wait a few months after a new release before actually installing it, because alot of stuff gets fixed in the few months after a new release anyway.

I think some advice in a different forum makes as much sense in Ubuntu as it does in Fedora, according the the writer: Always stay one release behind to avoid most bugs! With new releases every six months and 18 months of support on most releases, doing that is pretty easy.

I wonder: Did I need to replace PulseAudio with Esound as I did? For some reason I thought I needed to...

I'm so relieved to hear that PulseAudio was "an accident" in Xubuntu, and won't be in Mint 9 Xfce!

Thanks so much,
Robin
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Robin wrote:Agreed, of course, and in time I think they'll be worked out, too.
They have 3 years to do it :lol:
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Ok I have been getting some packages built.
To see the packages I have use this link. http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php? ... adora-XFCE
Once some more packages are finished i can start working on the ISO.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Question: When will it be available?
Answer: Soon...

Question: How soon?
Answer: As soon as it's ready...

:lol: I like 'this' Mint philosophy :lol:

Return to “Xfce”