Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mack_guy911
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Xfce 9 Isadora development

Post by mack_guy911 »

A request to mint 9 developers

its will be great and less buggy if mint xfce 9 have less software as compare to mint 8

like if you see lxde it has very clean interface less software but it wont give you complete distro feel like xfce does but again there are too much in xfce which is not used my common users and newbies

secondly its nice if one can add pysdm type some auto mounting software which is very much needed for newbies

i didnt face any problem with mint linux 8 apart from gparted which was also in xubuntu 9.10 hope it will resolved in mint 9

last we wish stable fast and light release with less software less default languages .........

:mrgreen:

MadOp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MadOp »

Hi,

I assume there will be at least one public Beta/RC before gold, right?

If so, will it be possible to upgrade such Beta/RC to Gold assuming no big or complex applications have been added to the default beta/rc install?

I ask because I want to move from xfce 7 to 9 as soon as posible, but rather wait for Gold if I won't be able to do a painless (*) upgrade.

(*) at least in theory :)

best regards.
MadOp

maruel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maruel »

Hello! I'm new to the forums (but not new to linux :P ) and I'm willing to help, so if there are some kinda regular tasks to do, like testing or whatsoever, just tell me and I'd be glad to help!

By the way, I'd love to see Isadora Xfce using the full potential of such lightweight DE, and not to be bloated like Xubuntu (at least compared to sidux, Salix, openSuse 11.2 Xfce, and many more). I did some simple memory usage checks on many Xfce distros, and results were approx:
-Xubuntu 10.04 = 120-145Mb
-sidux 2009.4 = 70Mb
-openSuse 11.2 Xfce = 80Mb
-Salix 13.1 = 85 Mb
*I did this cause memory usage is pretty critical on my old Compaq Armada E500 (PIII @ 800Mhz,256kb cache - 192Mb RAM).
Just clean Xfce (with few gnome dependencies, or not at all if it could be done!) should do the job nicely.

Anyways, if you need anything, just tell me! I'd be glad to help so Isadora Xfce can come out soon and become even nicer than before!

Regards.

From Argentina, Maruel.-

EDIT: THIS is just what I was meaning when I said that about the bloat and all.. Please take a look at it (taken from Distrowatch). Another thing to consider is the well known phoronix benchmarks that showed how Xubuntu was even slower than Ubuntu.

mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikhou »

Just checking in. Got an update?

mikhou

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Ok sorry about the delay on info.
Lately I have been driving my wife to appointments.
Last week we had to go to 2 appointments that take 3 hours to get to.(6 total hours on the road)
One appointment took 2hrs to even see the Doc. :(
The best thing to come out of this is that we finally have a surgery date for the joint replacement.
It's going to be August 3rd.
Now we have to drive there every 2 weeks to get her pain meds. :(
Why can't they just give he 30 days worth like the hospital here.
This week they are going to give her shots in her knees and she can't stand for more than an hour.

Enough of that though.
I'm going to give KDE Dev release a quick spin and then start playing with building an ISO of Xfce.
The build will just be about what will fit on the live CD so I can finish the last of the packages.

mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikhou »

merlwiz,

I'm sorry that I asked. I'll definitely be praying for you and your wife. Take care of your family first. We'll worry about the XFCE release later.

mikhou

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

mikhou wrote:merlwiz,

I'm sorry that I asked. I'll definitely be praying for you and your wife. Take care of your family first. We'll worry about the XFCE release later.

mikhou
Thanks but don't worry about it I was going to update yesterday but forgot.

Patriot Henry
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Patriot Henry »

Now we have to drive there every 2 weeks to get her pain meds. :(
Why can't they just give he 30 days worth like the hospital here.
That most likely is part of the "War on Pain", which translated from the Orwellian into English is "War of Pain". This is a government program begun by federal initiative which persecutes doctors who specialize in pain and their patients.

I am sorry to hear that this War has affected you and your family. The medical problems are an unfortunate but necessary part of life and should be embraced as part of the heavy price we pay for the miracle of existence, but the War of Pain is unnecessary and should be rejected as the barbarism it is.

Superewza
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Europe, Earth, ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Post by Superewza »

Weren't you going to build a new computer? What happened to that?

Anyway, good luck, take your time and i think i might just change from Isadora main this time. If i can figure out how to keep all the packages i've installed...

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Superewza wrote:Weren't you going to build a new computer? What happened to that?
It's already been built and using it already.
It's way faster than my old system. :D
I even have a faster laptop to work on.
The laptop is only 4 years old unlike the other that had windows xp on 128MBs of RAM.(I upgrade to 256MB)

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Ok trying to finish all the packages this weekend and have and ISO for testing soon.
Also you should be able to see the testing of the ISO.
http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1452

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Well yesterday was an all day event.
They would only allow her to pick up 2 meds.
The 3rd info just got to the pharmacy that morning even though her pain docs said she could pick them all up.
So now we have to go back tomorrow just to pick it up.
It takes all day just to get there and back.

I guess I'll have an iso for the testing team sometime next week.(I hope) :(

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Xfce 9 Isadora development(Updated Jun 24)

Post by merlwiz79 »

I have been working on something I always wanted in thunar.
I hated the Permanently Remove... option in custom actions.
I never could get it to work 100% so it's now gone.
I decided to build my own thunar package and change Delete to Move to Trash.
Now the Delete option works just like in nautilus.
I have now gotten it working and here's the screen shot to show you.
German translation Screen shot:

mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikhou »

Just curious...progress?

Not trying to be pushy. I'm currently running LM9 Main, but I've experimented with XFCE in the past, and I really like it. However, my work usually has me living in a third world country where the internet connections are tenuous at best, and I leave again in about 2-3 weeks. I'm trying to decide if I want to install LM8 XFCE or wait for LM9 XFCE. Even if the RC for LM9 XFCE was available, I would wait as downloading updates is a whole lot easier than downloading an OS. Thanks for your work, and no matter when it's ready, I'll find a way to get it. You do a great job with the distro, and again, we all certainly understand that family comes first.

mikhou

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

mikhou wrote:Just curious...progress?

Not trying to be pushy. I'm currently running LM9 Main, but I've experimented with XFCE in the past, and I really like it. However, my work usually has me living in a third world country where the internet connections are tenuous at best, and I leave again in about 2-3 weeks. I'm trying to decide if I want to install LM8 XFCE or wait for LM9 XFCE. Even if the RC for LM9 XFCE was available, I would wait as downloading updates is a whole lot easier than downloading an OS. Thanks for your work, and no matter when it's ready, I'll find a way to get it. You do a great job with the distro, and again, we all certainly understand that family comes first.

mikhou
I hope to have a testing ISO for the dev and testing team by Sunday or Monday.
If they and clem pass the ISO it takes 2 days for the mirrors to get it.

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Will post some info here soon.
Just doing a lot of testing on the Live CD.
Hopefully will have an ISO for the testing team tonight or tomorrow.

bruceleejr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bruceleejr »

I can't wait. But I wonder how different "Linux Mint XFCE 9 - Isadora" will be different from Linux Mint 9 - Isadora w/ XFCE installed~??

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

bruceleejr wrote:I can't wait. But I wonder how different "Linux Mint XFCE 9 - Isadora" will be different from Linux Mint 9 - Isadora w/ XFCE installed~??
Well right now with Firefox running I am only using 192 MB of RAM.
I'm going to post later what's installed and what was removed from Linux Mint 8 Xfce.
It's not going to have all the same apps installed as the main.(Examples: Giver, Tomboy and Mono isn't installed)
It does have Sun Java installed on the Live CD.(Currently 699MB)

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Xfce 9 Isadora development(Updated July 12)

Post by merlwiz79 »

OK uploading of the isos are finished and added to the community site for testing.
You can view the progress by visiting the site.
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso

edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Xfce 9 Isadora development(Updated July 12 )

Post by edwardr »

Great news! I am eagerly awaiting the Release Candidate. I have Mint 9 LXDE RC on my laptop right now because I could get Skype to work with it (I couldn't get the sound to work with Skype in Mint 8 XFCE on my laptop). I hope I can get Skype to work with Mint 9 XCFE - I have more fun playing with XFCE than LXDE.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true

Return to “Xfce”