Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Finfoot
Level 1
Level 1

Xfce, Wine, and Thinkorswim Program Problems

Post by Finfoot »

Hello all,

I have been using Linux Mint GNOME since Felicia (6) with great success. Each successive distro release gets better and better. :mrgreen: I currently have installed on my machine Windows, Linux Mint 9 GNOME, Peppermint One (the latest respin), and Linux Mint 9 XFCE. Each OS is in its own partition. Wine works great on Linux Mint 9 GNOME and Peppermint One, however, there is a problem on Linux Mint 9 XFCE. When installing Thinkorswim.com financial charting software, Right clicking the Thinkorswim_installer.exe file and then under Properties and then under Permissions to check the " Allow executing file as program" this check box is missing in XFCE. How can I resolve this problem so that I can install this program using WIne on XFCE?

On a separate problem, when using Thinkorswim you have the ability to watch CNBC TV on a media player. This works fine when using Windows and Windows Media Player but I have not been able to resolve this problem when using Linux Mint or some other Linux Distro. This problem is the only reason I am keeping Windows on my machine. Your thoughts on this knotty predicament would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

aljoriz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Xfce, Wine, and Thinkorswim Program Problems

Post by aljoriz »

I think you are supposed to right click on the exe file and open with "wine prog loader" or something. Hope this helps!

Finfoot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Finfoot »

I am sorry but this idea did not work. Any other thoughts?

Lucifuge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lucifuge »

maybe try right clicking on exe file go to properties look for permissions click go down near bottom put check in box where says allow execute program as file then click close...and try installing again. hope this helps! :)

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

In a terminal:

Code: Select all

chmod +x /path/to/Thinkorswim_installer.exe
Replace "/path/to" with the appropriate path.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

Finfoot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Finfoot »

Right clicking the Thinkorswim_installer.exe file and then under Properties and then under Permissions to check the " Allow executing file as program" this check box is missing in XFCE. How can I resolve this problem so that I can install this program using WIne on XFCE?

This is THE main problem, a missing check box.

I tried the chmod procedure, but alas I still have a problem.

Any other ideas? Your help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

That chmod command is the command-line equivalent of checking that box; chmod allows you to change permissions of files and directories, and the permission controls that Nautilus (Gnome's file browser) provides is no more than a graphical front-end (and which apparently Xfce's file browser, Thunar, doesn't have). If chmod doesn't work for you, then either you didn't apply the command properly, or permissions aren't the issue here.

Try the following instead:

Code: Select all

chmod 755 /path/to/Thinkorswim_installer.exe
And this time, instead of typing out "Thinkorswim_installer.exe", just type the first few letters and use the TAB key to autocomplete in terminal. I'm thinking you may have misspelled the file and/or the file's path, or capitalized the wrong letters...it's case sensitive.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

kei84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kei84 »

I'm also using XFCE 9 but i was able to install an .exe application using Wine with no problem. All I had to do was double click the file. I did'n have to make it executable.

Finfoot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Finfoot »

I wanted to thank aljoriz, Lucifuge, kei84, and vincent for your help in resolving my problem. Vincent, your chmod +x fix was what it took to install Thinkorswim. :mrgreen: Also, entering the path correctly helped. :oops:

Now, if I can get the media player to work properly , I would be so happy!!!

On a separate problem, when using Thinkorswim you have the ability to watch CNBC TV on a media player. This works fine when using Windows and Windows Media Player but I have not been able to resolve this problem when using Linux Mint or some other Linux Distro. This problem is the only reason I am keeping Windows on my machine. Your thoughts on this knotty predicament would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

Does this Thinkorswim program not allow you to choose an alternative media player (e.g. MPlayer, VLC, etc.) to watch CNBC TV? If not, can't you just watch it online or something? The chances of you getting Windows Media Player to work in Linux is rather slim, and you shouldn't even bother trying given the amount of media players to choose from, in Linux.

paulkoussoulos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paulkoussoulos »

Have you sorted the problem out with the missing check box. I have the same problem when ever I download a file that is a .exe file I open it up with wine like i've done with past linux os's and ticked the checked the box under permissions. But mint 9 seems not to have the box so i can't give it permission. Any idea's.

Return to “Xfce”