[solved]/init: line 7: can't open /dev/sro no medium found

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
houndhen
Level 2
Level 2

[solved]/init: line 7: can't open /dev/sro no medium found

Post by houndhen »

Running Mint 9 Xfce 32 bit. Tried the startup disk creator to my 8gb usb drive. For the medium to copy I used the install disk that I used for my hd install. When I tried to boot into the usb installation I got the error that is the subject. It gets to the logo with the dots below that change colors like it is doing something. When I hit the ESC key I see the error. How do I get beyond this or do I need to try the install again?
Last edited by houndhen on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
Harold
thetank
Level 1
Level 1

Re: /init: line 7: can't open /dev/sro no medium found

Post by thetank »

houndhen wrote:Running Mint 9 Xfce 32 bit. Tried the startup disk creator to my 8gb usb drive. For the medium to copy I used the install disk that I used for my hd install. When I tried to boot into the usb installation I got the error that is the subject. It gets to the logo with the dots below that change colors like it is doing something. When I hit the ESC key I see the error. How do I get beyond this or do I need to try the install again?
Check the development of this program,

(a)http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net

(b) http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

“Your problem is to bridge the gap which exists between where you are now and the goal you intend to reach.” Earl Nightingale

Quotes
http://en.thinkexist.com/
Ubuntu to Richard Stallman
Birdy1982
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [solved]/init: line 7: can't open /dev/sro no medium fou

Post by Birdy1982 »

Houndhen,

I had the same kind of problem using Ubuntu Linux (10.10) installed on a USB drive. After not cleanly shutting down, Ubuntu gets stuck in the boot process. Though it displays the error /init: line 7: can't open /dev/sr0 no medium found, in my situation that was not the error causing the problem.

To find the real problem, I rebooted and removed quiet and splash from the boot command. Then the boot process is shown in much more detail. The line displayed last was Adding live session user.... I found that this line was logged by /scripts/casper-bottom/10adduser inside initrd.lz.

I decompressed initrd.lz and populated the file with debug messages (echo "Got Here1" etc.) at a number of places. I found that the script got stuck on the line chroot /root /usr/lib/user-setup/user-setup-apply > /dev/null. I removed the > /dev/null part to see what it gets stuck on. Then during boot it showed:

invalid password file entry
delete line ...?

So in fact it was sitting there waiting for an answer. I mounted the USB drive in another Linux machine and found that the /etc/passwd file was corrupted. After repairing this file, the USB drive worked again.

I'm not sure if your problem is the same, but this might be the road to go finding what is going on.

Regards,
Bert

Return to “Xfce”