XFCE10

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

XFCE10

Post by keithp »

I see from "Community ~Testing" section that the Debian version of Mint XFCE is being tested. But there is no mention of a Ubuntu based Mint XFCE version. Is it Mint XFCE Debian 9 or 10 being tested?

Please could someone 'in the know' say if there will, eventually, be a Ubuntu based version of Mint XFCE10, or will there only be a Debian version?

I hope I don't start an argument as to which is the better version to develop! I am just interested as to what is happening, as I run Mint XFCE9 inside Windows7 using Mint4Win (which doesn't work with Debian based versions).

Cheers

Keith

cpatrick08
Level 3
Level 3

Re: XFCE10

Post by cpatrick08 »

keithp wrote:I see from "Community ~Testing" section that the Debian version of Mint XFCE is being tested. But there is no mention of a Ubuntu based Mint XFCE version. Is it Mint XFCE Debian 9 or 10 being tested?

Please could someone 'in the know' say if there will, eventually, be a Ubuntu based version of Mint XFCE10, or will there only be a Debian version?

I hope I don't start an argument as to which is the better version to develop! I am just interested as to what is happening, as I run Mint XFCE9 inside Windows7 using Mint4Win (which doesn't work with Debian based versions).

Cheers

Keith
they are switching xfce from ubuntu base to debian so you cant use mint4win anymore sorry hope i helped you out

keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Re: XFCE10 [Solved]

Post by keithp »

cpatrick08.

Many thanks for your reply and the information. It has answered my question.

Cheers

Keith

Hezy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Hezy »

Keithp, Mint Debian does not have version numbers like 9 or 10, It is a rolling release.

Mint Xfce based on Ubuntu is developed by Merlwiz. Unfortunately Merlwiz has some problems in his life, so we the Mint Xfce users don't mind having release dates later than other Mint versions. In fact Mint Xfce 9 was released only 6 months ago, so 10 is not very late relative to what we are used to. We know that Merlwiz had progress in his work on Mint Xfce 10, but it seems that his spare time ran out and he was not active in this forum in the last few weeks. We all wish him well, and acknowledge that in the greater scheme of things Mint Xfce 10 is less important.
keep on rockin' in the free world

[https://github.com/hezy]

olligod
Level 3
Level 3

Post by olligod »

I do think it is the intention of clem and others to move several desktop environments, especially the "lighter" ones, to Debian.

If done right, this will result in
- a lot less work in the future
- very stable, good quality rolling release desktops of your choice.

It is even considered to move KDE over (bigger task maybe). I voted for it in the Mint survey :D

I think all this is a marvellous idea. Ubuntu has some quality issues that its derivatives, including Mint, inherit.
And Debian is just ...Debian, meaning REALLY good quality, consistently. To have it mintifyed is just great stuff.
I think if you have just regular hardware you should not have any problems using LMDE instead of LM-Ubuntu.
I am sure many people do not note the difference (if they don't look into their repository entries) - usability should be the same
(in the tested GNOME case so far)

So they "kill 2 birds with one stone" here: Helping out Merlwitz (whom we all wish well) and moving XFCE over to the other base, too.

If you have a running Ubu-Mint-XFCE system (I do by the way), before you switch to LMDE you may consider waiting a little until XFCE has "settled" a bit in LMDE.
(I will do so - since it is my production machine...)

CONCLUDING:
Debian is just GREAT :D
xfce will be Debian based.
Hold your breath a little while unless it's not for a production machine
Other DE's will follow (fluxbox may be next from what I've read)

keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by keithp »

Hello olligod.

Thank you for your reply.

As I said in my original posting, it was only a request for information about the future of Mint XFCE. I am very pleased with my Mint XFCE9 and am in no hurry to change it. I will just have to stop using Mint4Win. :( As you said, it will be less work for the developers if Clem changes things over to Debian based and they are rolling distros like Mint-Gnome-Debian is.

I have thought a lot about Merlwiz since he told us of his problems over December and January. I hope that all is progressing well for him and his wife and that, before long, he will pop up again in the forums.

Cheers.

Keith

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Noticed some testing on the latest Xfce, and yes, Clem has stepped in and has spun out a Debian based Xfce. Latest ISO was rejected yesterday . :( . . but good news for 64bit fans . . :D

You can follow along at the community website's testing section : http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/58

Arenalgarden
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Arenalgarden »

8) It'll be fun to try Clems flavor.
I'm posting this from Saline which is a nice ands quick XFCE Debian spin.
Pura Vida
Lake Arenal, Costa Rica.

Robin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Robin »

I am soooooo looking forward to a Debain-based Xfce Mint! I love Xubuntu and Mint Xfce, and am so grateful for their simplicity and versatility. They're so awesome I'm almost afraid to switch, but I'm really looking forward to trying the Debain version. I suspect it will be alot faster.

-Robin
living in an 18-wheeler!
Travelling with Papa and home schooling
(except "home" is a big rig, lol)

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

Many people believe that a Full-featured Desktop Environment like Xfce is bigger and clunkier than some of the other lightweight Desktops w/Window Managers ... when in reality this is not the case.

Most users only have a distro like Xubuntu for comparison.

Xfce was designed to be a 'stand-alone' desktop environment ... and not installed on top of Gnome, as what Xubuntu does.

Find an OS distro, that uses Xfce as a 'stand-alone' desktop environment and you will notice just how fast, simple and responsive a true light-weight desktop environment can be.
#!Crunchbang Statler (Xfce) and Debian 6 /Xfce are good examples of this.

And the new Mint-Debian-Xfce is will be another 'good' example . . . light, fast and pretty.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

tatsujin79
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tatsujin79 »

vrkalak wrote:Many people believe that a Full-featured Desktop Environment like Xfce is bigger and clunkier than some of the other lightweight Desktops w/Window Managers ... when in reality this is not the case.

Most users only have a distro like Xubuntu for comparison.
Fully agree, ubuntu's implementation of kde and xfce is kind of out of whack, i found this out myself when i first tried xubuntu, kubuntu then installed xfce and kde on a base arch install. The differences were night and day. Xfce is awesome, just not on ubuntu

aljoriz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aljoriz »

wow I am excited will surely download mint deb-xfce when it runs and will not look back to ubuntu

Hezy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Hezy »

I must admit I didn't think Mint Debian Xfce would become reality so soon, but Clem seems to be determined - he already has a second ISO built (with a 64 bit version as well), and they both passed more than 90% of the test. This is very exciting. If everything works well, this can be a great distro for those of us who like light but complete desktop. I'm sure I'll be using it, eventually even as my main OS.

grndragon57
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grndragon57 »

Really interested in trying this. I love XFce, but haven't found one I like that is much lighter than Gnome. My only problem is my complete unfamiliarity with Debian, guess this is a good time to start playing around with my LMDE install.

Robin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Robin »

grndragon57 wrote:Really interested in trying this. I love XFce, but haven't found one I like that is much lighter than Gnome. My only problem is my complete unfamiliarity with Debian, guess this is a good time to start playing around with my LMDE install.
Xfce is alot lighter than Gnome, but in most distros it is added to Gnome instead of place of it, which is why you haven't seen it go lighter and faster. Xubuntu and Mint 9 Xfce, awesome as they are, are hardly "pure" Xfce!

I have tried to make Debian Xfce work, but I battled with it for so long I lost patience and went back to Xubuntu/Mint. A Mint Debian Xfce will be awesome!

aljoriz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aljoriz »

Clem just released Debian XFCE RC look for in at http://www.linuxmint.com under PROJECTS>Mirrors>testing

keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by keithp »

I must apologise for my terrible posting which started this thread. It was a real jumble and it's a wonder anyone understood it! :oops:

What I meant to say was that at the end of last year, Merlwiz was building a Ubuntu-based Mint10 XFCE using XFCE 4.8. But because of all the problems he and his wife were having, the development appears to have been suspended. (I do hope that things are improving for them).

Then I found that Clem was going to develop a 'rolling' Debian-based XFCE.

My question was, whether this one would be built using XFCE 4.6 or 4.8. At that time, I didn't know that it would be ready with a release candidate so soon.

Note to self: Must take more care before I post and try to make it understandable!

I'll try the release candidate as soon as possible.

Cheers and apologies again.

Keith

Hezy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Hezy »

keithp wrote:I must apologise for my terrible posting which started this thread. It was a real jumble and it's a wonder anyone understood it! :oops:

What I meant to say was that at the end of last year, Merlwiz was building a Ubuntu-based Mint10 XFCE using XFCE 4.8. But because of all the problems he and his wife were having, the development appears to have been suspended. (I do hope that things are improving for them).

Then I found that Clem was going to develop a 'rolling' Debian-based XFCE.

My question was, whether this one would be built using XFCE 4.6 or 4.8. At that time, I didn't know that it would be ready with a release candidate so soon.

Note to self: Must take more care before I post and try to make it understandable!

I'll try the release candidate as soon as possible.

Cheers and apologies again.

Keith
Keith, it's cool.

Don't forget to tell us what you think about Mint Debian Xfce. Everybody here are trying the RC as we speak.

Beardedragon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Beardedragon »

Robert Collard, Madison, WI
Linux Mint 19.2 Tina Kernel: 4.15.0-55
Desktop System: HP EliteDesk 705 G1 SFF
CPU: Quad Core model: AMD A10-6800K APU
NVIDIA GK208 [GeForce GT 720] nvidia v: 340.107
Acer Technologies 24" 1920 x 1080

aljoriz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aljoriz »

My problem with XFCE mint debian is that it uses gnome apps like gedit, brasero. XFCE is designed for being light weight.

I really though that the ISO of LMDX (Linux Mint Debian Xfce) will be lighter compared to LMDE. I am sure most people would be comparing Clem's version of xfce with that of Merlwiz.

the above post is purely my opinion.

Return to “Xfce”