XFCE10

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jeffreyC
Level 4
Level 4

Re: XFCE10

Post by jeffreyC »

I agree too much Gnome, not enough Xfce.
Why replace Xfburn with Brasero ? More people complain of problems with brasero and replace it with Xfburn than the other way 'round.
Xfce has a very good note app of its own, much lighter than Tomboy.
Gedit is a good text editor, but Mousepad isn't junk.
Get Dropbox and an extra 250 mb http://db.tt/wAizqw0

Hezy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Hezy »

aljoriz wrote:My problem with XFCE mint debian is that it uses gnome apps like gedit, brasero. XFCE is designed for being light weight.

I really though that the ISO of LMDX (Linux Mint Debian Xfce) will be lighter compared to LMDE. I am sure most people would be comparing Clem's version of xfce with that of Merlwiz.

the above post is purely my opinion.
I'm sure many Xfce users would agree. I removed Brasero, Tomboy, Gwibber, and F-spot - I don't use these apps. But I kept gedit - an app I always install. I'm also not sure about using Totem while both MPlayer and VLC are present, but I'll keep it for a while to see if has any use. I'm not against Gnome apps as a rule, some are really good. But like many Xfce users, many times I prefer light and simple apps.
Last edited by Hezy on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
keep on rockin' in the free world

[https://github.com/hezy]

Beardedragon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Beardedragon »

aljoriz wrote:My problem with XFCE mint debian is that it uses gnome apps like gedit, brasero. XFCE is designed for being light weight.

I really though that the ISO of LMDX (Linux Mint Debian Xfce) will be lighter compared to LMDE. I am sure most people would be comparing Clem's version of xfce with that of Merlwiz.

the above post is purely my opinion.
Well, I am running it now. IMHO they did a fine job of putting this together the Mint way. The new icons are great, not to mention the quick response overall. They could have gone with a faster kernel, but, Debian always lags behind on that and I suppose the team decided to stay with the current one. I'm sure when Xfce 4.8x is ready it will be upgraded. right now it is still pretty iffy. The rest of it is great work and i congratulate Clem and the team for getting it out so fast.
Robert Collard, Madison, WI
Linux Mint 19.2 Tina Kernel: 4.15.0-55
Desktop System: HP EliteDesk 705 G1 SFF
CPU: Quad Core model: AMD A10-6800K APU
NVIDIA GK208 [GeForce GT 720] nvidia v: 340.107
Acer Technologies 24" 1920 x 1080

aljoriz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aljoriz »

Sorry if I sounded like I was complaining but hey I am very pleased with LMDX RC :lol:

How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

More people complain of problems with brasero and replace it with Xfburn than the other way 'round.
Sometimes neither work. In particular, I have had trouble with 650Mb CD-RW, including Traxdata. For these, I have had to resort to Nero. Nero can be used for free with your W code provided you have a legal W-version that is current or immediately preceding that. Unfortunately, my legal Nero is ~10yrs old so have to fire up an old W98 box to wipe 650 discs. Notwithstanding, every so often I get issues of no tray opening with both Brasero & Xfburn. Sometimes the message to open the tray manually works, but sometimes a hard reset is required - this is unacceptable. If there's a spare machine available, I sometimes run up a liveCD of Puppy - everything works with that.

tmp0404
Level 1
Level 1

Re: XFCE10 RC

Post by tmp0404 »

All, just 1 quick easy question, since XFCE is RC, when it becomes a general release, am I correct in saying that I don't need to download XFCE when it is officially released. All I need to do is keep updating XFCE and I'll have the same. Please let me know, and thanks for your responses.

deep64blue
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deep64blue »

tmp0404 wrote:All, just 1 quick easy question, since XFCE is RC, when it becomes a general release, am I correct in saying that I don't need to download XFCE when it is officially released. All I need to do is keep updating XFCE and I'll have the same. Please let me know, and thanks for your responses.
That's my understanding - as it's a rolling edition all you have to do is apply updates.

jeffreyC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jeffreyC »

You are correct if you keep updating the rc you will not need to reinstall.

jeffreyC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jeffreyC »

As far as CD burning the only I have found that works for me in Debian is cdrecord with a Thunar custom action (I use the real cdrecord not wodim)
The other way I have done in the past was IsoBurner in Wine when I was using Ubuntu based distros, but I could not get Wine working in Debian.
CD and DVD burning is a major flaw in Linux, the internet is littered with abandoned half finished burning applications.

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

deep64blue wrote:
tmp0404 wrote:All, just 1 quick easy question, since XFCE is RC, when it becomes a general release, am I correct in saying that I don't need to download XFCE when it is officially released. All I need to do is keep updating XFCE and I'll have the same. Please let me know, and thanks for your responses.
That's my understanding - as it's a rolling edition all you have to do is apply updates.
Mint-Debian-Xfce RC is now being based on Debian and not on Ubuntu.

With Ubuntu the recommended way to upgrade to a newer version is to do a 'fresh install'.
With Debian the recommended way to upgrade to a newer version is to 'update'.

With the 'rolling release' of Debian 'testing', once the Final release is out and/or you have it configured the way you want it ... you should 'never' have to do a fresh re-install.

So, NO ... an 'update/upgrade' within a Debian (or Debian-based) OS, should not break your system.
Mint-Debian-Xfce is based on Debian's 'testing' branch with the Xfce desktop and the Mint specific Apps and Repros added.

I have never had a Linux OS crash or break on me, that was not self-inflicted.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

tyhee88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tyhee88 »

I heartily agree with those who have suggested the applications for LM XFCE should be lightweight rather than the heavier Gnome apps.

In addition, using Mono apps, as seems to be the case, brings in additional mono libraries. I'm among those who choose not to use Mono anyway (not looking to repeat the discussion about why, but certainly many choose not to use Mono even in Gnome.) I'd much prefer the most lightweight reasonable apps possible, and not to have to delete the mono libraries.

Including extra libraries and heavier Gnome apps is a little similar to Xubuntu, which in my experience didn't have any advantages at all compared with Ubuntu.

I know-to some extent this is quibbling. It isn't hard to change apps, nor to delete libraries.

asymmetros
Level 4
Level 4

Post by asymmetros »

I already purged many default applications. Simply cause I prefer xfburn over brasero, medit or mousepad over gedit, orage over tomboy, guayadeque or exaile over rhythmbox, geeqie over f-spot, qbitorrent over transmission, xfce's terminal, screensaver and power manager over gnome's and so on. I even added a couple of gnome apps, like gnumeric or abiword (alongside with the neutral lyx) and kicking out libre-office.
I am not at all an experienced user so i do not know if i can remove more gnome libraries; i even thought of replacing gdm with slim. But as an average front-end user, i see that my starts with about 115 Mb's -and i haven't cut a bunch of applets that i want or need. With Mint Menu on the panel (side by side to Xfce's) it shows ~128 Mb on a cold boot. Thats ok for me.
I pretty understand Clem' s decisions. Now, Main (Gnome) is Mint's flagship. But in the future, there is a chance that this will change. Then, Mint Xfce will bea great alternative for many people who prefer functionality, usability, stability over bling-bling effects.

My only objection is with the term "mainstream applications". Many users prefer those apps cause these are the defaults. And that's a factor that explains why those apps becoming mainstream. If eg medit replaces gedit, then, in the near future, medit will be considered mainstream.
Sid Mint Xfce -32, Openbox, KDE, Enlightenment, Liquorix Kernel
HP Compaq Presario cq71, Intel Core 2 Duo T4400 @ 2.2 GHz, 3 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 103M

mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

How do these rolling ditros affect older hardware? i mean can one of the "updates render the mashcine unusable? Like kernel uprgade etc.?

olligod
Level 3
Level 3

Post by olligod »

mastablasta wrote:How do these rolling ditros affect older hardware? i mean can one of the "updates render the mashcine unusable? Like kernel uprgade etc.?
You need not worry about kernel upgrades, as your old running kernel remains installed as long as you wish; it takes an action of yours to uninstall it.

Oftentimes, new kernels come with improvements, including for hardware drivers and speed (and it is worthwhile to get the 3rd party drivers for grahpics cards (NVIDIA, ATI) etc, it applicable, to cooperate with it, i.e.; get the kernel modules of such drivers to load into a new kernel as well -- but if that doesn't work, the old one is always there for you.

After a new kernel has appeared through package updates, typically 2 new boot options appear, with the newest kernel (standard- and recovery-boot) on top,
and as the default.
If you need to stay with the second-newest kernel for a while, go ahead and edit your file /boot/grub/grub.cfg (via sudo or as root!) to set it as the default again: find the line

Code: Select all

set default="0"
...and set it to ...

set default="2"
This will make the 3rd entry the default boot (count starting from "0").

And then, once you are confident with your new kernel, you may remove the old ones: Find them in package management (look for "linux-image...").
To check your current running kernel's version number, type

uname -r
on the command prompt for a short version of it.

Easy ...

Return to “Xfce”