Some issues with XFCE Debian

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kvv
Level 4
Level 4

Some issues with XFCE Debian

Post by kvv »

EDit: I guess I should mention that I am running XFCE on Virtualbox.

1. I did a "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" and it went fine. The updates notification icon still showed that there are packages to be upgraded, so when I tried upgrading through this I got the error message: "Could not apply changes. Fix broken packages first!"

2. Opening and right clicking of files is sometimes buggy. My perl scripts won't open when I double click on them, and after this my right click doesn't work for any of the files. The context menu opens and immediately closes unless I keep holding the right-click.

3. Is there an easy way to change the wallpaper? Right-clicking on the image and selecting "Set as desktop background" doesn't work.

4. I am trying to open the "Preferred Applications" program, but it's not starting.

aljoriz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Some issues with XFCE Debian

Post by aljoriz »

I hope you will let help you in some concerns

#2: right clicking files
Go to Menu-Settings-Appearance change the default style to "clearlooks" (or anything except Mintx, MintXmetal and Mint X metal xfce)

#3 changing the wallpaper:
Have you tried Menu-Settings-Desktop? on the background tab press the "+" icon and locate your wallpaper for some odd reason you can only put one wall paper.

On the other queries I have no issues perhaps you had a bad install?

Thank you for taking the time to read my replies

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 »

3. Is there an easy way to change the wallpaper? Right-clicking on the image and selecting "Set as desktop background" doesn't work.
Strange.
On Mint-Debian-xfce RC installation, there is no problem using right-click on image and Set as wallpaper

All other debian-xfce ( not Mint) also have no problem on right-click on image and 'Set as wallpaper'.

Hezy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hezy »

kvv wrote:1. I did a "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" and it went fine. The updates notification icon still showed that there are psudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgradeackages to be upgraded, so when I tried upgrading through this I got the error message: "Could not apply changes. Fix broken packages first!"
I went all the way with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
and it fixed it.
kvv wrote:2. Opening and right clicking of files is sometimes buggy. My perl scripts won't open when I double click on them, and after this my right click doesn't work for any of the files. The context menu opens and immediately closes unless I keep holding the right-click.
As aljoriz said, this is a bug in the Mint-X theme. Hopefully clem will get it fixed before official release.
kvv wrote:3. Is there an easy way to change the wallpaper? Right-clicking on the image and selecting "Set as desktop background" doesn't work.
Another bug I'm afraid. You can put the image file in /home/username/.config/xfce4/backdrops/ (or in usr/share/xfce4/backdrops to have it available for all the users) and then go to Desktop Settings to enable it
kvv wrote:4. I am trying to open the "Preferred Applications" program, but it's not starting.
try runing it from the command line:

exo-preferred-applications
and see if you get any error messages.
keep on rockin' in the free world

[https://github.com/hezy]

kvv
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kvv »

Thanks!
Hezy wrote:[
try runing it from the command line:

exo-preferred-applications
and see if you get any error messages.
It worked today. Maybe it's some update that I did, or it was because of something else.

ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ddalley »

Hezy wrote:
kvv wrote:1. I did a "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" and it went fine. The updates notification icon still showed that there are psudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgradeackages to be upgraded, so when I tried upgrading through this I got the error message: "Could not apply changes. Fix broken packages first!"
I went all the way with

and it fixed it.
Yes, it did! Thank you.

mooseman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mooseman »

Having problems with system freezing up when using firefox or chrome

asymmetros
Level 4
Level 4

Post by asymmetros »

I haven't faced anyone of those problems. For example, i can set wallpaper in any possible way -plus sometimes i am using Desktopnova for that purpose as well.
But when i right click on the desktop, the menu delays for a couple of seconds. When i am inside a folder or an application's window, it opens instantly. Not a big deal and i dont know if this is supposed to happens.
Sid Mint Xfce -32, Openbox, KDE, Enlightenment, Liquorix Kernel
HP Compaq Presario cq71, Intel Core 2 Duo T4400 @ 2.2 GHz, 3 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 103M

casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Hezy wrote:
I went all the way with

and it fixed it.
have the same problem ... with .. 'fix broken files first' ... and tried this command too ! ... but it didn't work with me ! ...
even in the .. 'root-terminal' ... as 'root' ! ... was no changing ... 'fix broken files first' ... is still there .. blocking update ! ...

maybe I did make mistake ? ... what's my error ? ... and how to fix this blockade ? ... to take it away ...

thanks for answer my question ! ... somehow ever ...

aljoriz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aljoriz »

if you are having problems with the update try using synaptic.

its found on Menu > System > Synaptic Package Manager

press Reload once it has downloaded the necessary updates
press Mark all upgrades

ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

my install refuses to restart the pc when restart is selected. it logs out and then the verbose screen is presented stating that it will now restart the new kernel(????) and basically restarts the session back to the login screen. the only option there after is that i either do a physical hard shutdown or select the shut down option...

i have also found that xfce ran SOOO much quicker in livecd mode or better still from unetbootin iso boot from hard drive opposed to the actual full install on the partition.

am i doing something wrong? (btw, i fully updated (system update) the xfce before i flew out to work)
:?
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG laptop ~ LM 19.3 64bit Cinnamon - Win 10 - Ubuntu 20.04

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 »

ibm450 wrote:my install refuses to restart the pc when restart is selected. it logs out and then the verbose screen is presented stating that it will now restart the new kernel(????) and basically restarts the session back to the login screen. the only option there after is that i either do a physical hard shutdown or select the shut down option...
check if you get kexec installed, I remember this hit LMDE gnome and LMDE-xfce., read some older posts
i have also found that xfce ran SOOO much quicker in livecd mode or better still from unetbootin iso boot from hard drive opposed to the actual full install on the partition.
My installed version of xfce runs faster compared with DVD or USB.
Something is not right on installation.

Andret704
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Andret704 »

Hi! Just finished installing xfce-debian and want to inform you about some problems I am having with it. I am having problems with Network manager wireless network going on and off at every minutes, this was going on since mint 7 except for Mint 10 gnome that had no issue with Network Manager at all, I replaced it with wicd and problem cured. I had the problem of being impossible to make a complete restart unless to shut down the computer, this was solved by removing the pacquet kexec that was not installed at installation but with the update. I have tried the Mint menu but found that a lot of icons does not work at all, removed it and replaced with xfce menu. I also made all downloads as per mentioned ( as requested by program ) and with the ¨sudo apt-get update &&,etc etc¨ and found the downloading to be very slow. I am on high speed internet ( about 1mb/s) and was downloading at about 120 kb/s, found it to be very slow, and this going on with debian lmde and or xfce. With Linus-Mint 10 gnome downloading is always at high speed (over 925 kb/s) but not with debian. My set up is made at Synaptic in the depot and i have made the reset before downloading. (using the closes depot in Canada, Waterloo university)
Ok, good news now, this little program is working good, installing Brother mfc240c printer was a splendour experience with no flaw and was easy, more easy than with LMDE. The programs are working good and are stable and overhaul look and behaviour seems to be of the best of all. Also just to mention that removing the tapping at the mouse setup was a good idea because it is a lot easier to install than remove (I hate the tapping with my portable)
PS: My computer is an ACER ASPIRE 3680 WITH 1,6 GHz AND 1,5 Go RAM WITH INTEL GRAPHICS MEDIA ACCELERATOR 950, 80Go HDD.

Thank you for this little splendour A.Tremblay

ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

Andret704 wrote:I had the problem of being impossible to make a complete restart unless to shut down the computer, this was solved by removing the pacquet kexec that was not installed at installation but with the update. I have tried the Mint menu but found that a lot of icons does not work at all, removed it and replaced with xfce menu. I also made all downloads as per mentioned ( as requested by program ) and with the ¨sudo apt-get update &&,etc etc¨ and found the downloading to be very slow. I am on high speed internet ( about 1mb/s) and was downloading at about 120 kb/s, found it to be very slow, and this going on with debian lmde and or xfce. With Linus-Mint 10 gnome downloading is always at high speed (over 925 kb/s) but not with debian. My set up is made at Synaptic in the depot and i have made the reset before downloading.
i have the same restart issue. i will try the kexec update and see how it goes.

i have exact same issues with mint menu so for now ive gien up on the mint menu

i dont know if its my setup or what, but, i get much better performance with ubuntu based distros then debian versions...rather strange when every one is on the band wagon singing that debian performance so much better then ubuntu.... :?
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG laptop ~ LM 19.3 64bit Cinnamon - Win 10 - Ubuntu 20.04

casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Hi there ! ...

for me ... this problem is .. [solved] ! ...

when .. " sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade " .. didn't do the trick ! ...
I followed the advice of another member of this forum ! ... who gave me the idea ... to just ' update ' .. ' mintUpdate ' before ! ...

and this did work it over ! ... after update of ' mintUpdate ' ... this message .. " fix broken packages first " .. were gone ! ... just disapeared ! ...

that's it ! ...
for so long ...

Return to “Xfce”