Applications not appearing in mintMenu

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Deer Hunter
Level 1
Level 1

Applications not appearing in mintMenu

Post by Deer Hunter »

How do I make my applications appear in mintMenu, which I just installed? Right-clicking and selecting "Edit Menu" does nothing. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Applications not appearing in mintMenu

Post by vincent »

The application has to come with a .desktop file, normally installed under /usr/share/applications (open some of those .desktop files with a text editor as an example). Properly packaged debs should include that (along with other stuff like man pages, documentation, etc., all installed in the right directories). If not, create your own .desktop file and place it in ~/.local/share/applications.

"Edit Menu" calls /usr/bin/alacarte...but alacarte is probably Gnome-specific. Well, mintMenu was designed with Gnome first and foremost, after all.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

Hezy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hezy »

You need to install alacarte

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install alacarte
Alacrate is not installed by default in Xfce because it can't edit the Xfce menu. However the new Xfce 4.8 fixes the problem and alacarte will work on it, so in future versions of Mint Xfce you may see it installed by default (or there will be a different application with the same functionality).
keep on rockin' in the free world

[https://github.com/hezy]

Hezy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hezy »

By the way, I see that there are other bugs in mint menu on Xfce. For example Thunar does not start when you click on "Computer" or "Home". I bet it is looking for Nautilus. but I guess this is why Clem did not use it as a default.
keep on rockin' in the free world

[https://github.com/hezy]

Deer Hunter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Deer Hunter »

Thanks Hezy, installing Alacarte did the trick. All seems to be on go.

Return to “Xfce”