Before you post please read how to get help
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Re: LM XFCE (surprised by the speed)

Post by ibm450 »

casey972oo wrote:
ibm450 wrote:
aljoriz wrote:I think one of the reason why LMDX is booting slow (when compared to mint 9xfce) is due to grub loader. LMDX boots as fast as CrunchBang.
i wasn't at all impressed with the speed of the mint deb OS (lxde, xfce, lmde) and the general load-up times of any of the deb distros of mint.

the VERY strange thing i found is that all the deb mint distros run So much faster from livecd / live unetbooting of the hard-drive opposed to full install. i know ive commented about this in a earlier post, but it seems that afew more people are seeing and experiencing, well, should i say, average performance speeds of the deb distros?

and to be honest, the resource difference between the ubuntu and debian based mint os's are far and between, hardly any difference between the two, perhaps maybe 150mb between the 2 on my laptop?
Hi there ! ... will say something to this theme ! ...

my expierience is ! ... the more ' data ' you put into a system ... the more slow the system will startup ! ...
especialy those ' HD-Videos ' ... will take a lot of speed out of the ' bootup ! ... and slow down the hole system ! ...

when I clean up my system ... and take out those ' files & folders ' unnessecairy ! ... this speed up a lot ! ...
and the ' bootup ' is comming more easy ... much more faster ! ...

sometimes I have plenty of ' movies ' ... ' HD-Videos ' ... ' Slide-Shows ' ... and ' Music-stuff ' ... in my system ...
and the hard-disk is filled up plenty ! ... this means ... the system is slowed down a lot ! ...

I mean ! ... the speed of a system ... depends on the usage of ' disk-space ' ! ...
that's why some ' distros ' boot much faster from CD/DvD ... or USB-Stick ! ... when there is plenty space ... for to ' dance ' ! ...

cassey972oo

hmm thats interesting as i dont experience any slow downs in lm10 gnome 2.6.39rc3 although my document folders contain ripped blue ray movies, pictures, downloads and various files, folders and pictures.

the above install boots faster then the xfce debian based. not sure whats happening
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG SSD 4GB laptop ~ MX-Linux XFCE - LMDE-4 Cinnamon - LM 20 Cinnamon - Win 10 ENT
apsrn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by apsrn »

aljoriz wrote:
aljoriz wrote:
apsrn wrote:I must say that I am impressed by Mint 9 XFCE. It has been fast, reliable and fairly easy to learn. I love that it takes only 50 to 52 seconds from pressing the power button to get to a fully-functional desktop. I am in awe of the developers of Linux..
I agree to this. LXDE (mint xfce debian) is slower on my system too thus I had to go back to mint9 xfce.

Debian has its draw backs too its not very stable (Kernel updates may end up borking your system).
Just a word of caution if you will downgrade from mint 9 xfce to xfce debian, do not use the default partition settings. There's a reserved 100mb for the grub loader as set by debian, if you use the default you will not be able to remove it (100mb) anymore.
I am definitely a novice...I have borked my GRUB twice (the last time I had LMDE installed on a partition so when I uninstalled it, my GRUB went bye-bye). I think that when installing another version of Mint to another partition, I should install GRUB to that partition...I think!

So, I currently have a partition with Mint 9 XFCE and another with nothing.
When I install XFCE Debian, what specifically should I do to ensure that I can easily remove it from that partition if I dislike it?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Grub is reinstalled each time you install Mint or any other Linux. If you don't make a /boot partition, its files are placed on the same partition as the newly installed Linux. Some distros, like Debian-based Mint, give you the ability to keep the existing bootloader.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
aljoriz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aljoriz »

apsrn wrote: When I install XFCE Debian, what specifically should I do to ensure that I can easily remove it from that partition if I dislike it?
This is what I did when I downgraded from Mint debian to Mint 9 xfce; use the manual partition.. Clean the entire drive, then make your own / and swap file partition. (always backup your files before using the partition manager)

I am also a total n00b at linux but I like doing clean install as it shows to me how crappy and slow the Windows 7 installation is. :lol:
apsrn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by apsrn »

Update: I installed XFCE Debian (replaced LM9 XFCE) and it seems to be running well. The only hiccup is that there was a massive update (700 packages and over 500mb!).

Boot times are slightly slower (about 70-80 seconds) than Mint 9 XFCE (52 to 55 seconds). Still pretty darn good.
I time boot-up from pressing the power button until all of the icons are on the desktop.

I have ripped out a bunch of unused stuff (Thunderbird, Gwibber, Xchat, etc), so the boot times might become a bit faster.
I need to research other methods for improving boot speed...
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

The kernel 2.6.38 and up are somewhat faster than the 2.6.32 kernel that cames with the Mint XFCE ISO.
apsrn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by apsrn »

Hmm....is it easy to upgrade the kernel?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Just install all updates on Mint Xfce and you'll get 2.6.38. This works on the Debian-based LM Xfce; for the Ubuntu-based LM 9 Xfce there's a how-to on kernel upgrading on the forum in the tutorials category.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
asymmetros
Level 4
Level 4

Post by asymmetros »

Regarding startup applications, you can use bum -boot up manager.
Very useful application -and easy to use too.
Sid Mint Xfce -32, Openbox, KDE, Enlightenment, Liquorix Kernel
HP Compaq Presario cq71, Intel Core 2 Duo T4400 @ 2.2 GHz, 3 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 103M
mikecz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikecz »

There is another advantage apart from the speed and relative liteness of Mint XFCE: they have already made sure that the various codecs, Flash players and Javascript engines are configured and working.

I've got it running on an old Dell GX260 as well as a more up to date HP HDX 16 laptop, and I will recommend it to anyone who wants a distro that is powerful but still easy to run and installs easily.

MikeC

Return to “Xfce”