I give up -Xfce 64bit and Nvidia

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
07gtimyfast
Level 1
Level 1

I give up -Xfce 64bit and Nvidia

Post by 07gtimyfast »

I'm not software savvy but everytime I mess with something It screws something else up :oops: I give up

Reinstalled and if a program doesn't work or needs a nvidia driver update I'm not doing it.

end rant/

ps. nvidia-xconfig can kiss my :!:
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: I give up

Post by tenfoot »

Hi 07gtimyfast.

It must be very frustrating when things go wrong but from the Forum members point of view it is difficult to offer advice with no information from you about your set up and the version you were endeavoureing to install :(

So, for starters:

(a) Give us details of your computer
(b) Which version of LinuxMint were you trying to install?
(b) What problems did you experience?

By and large, LinuxMint is as easy to use, if not easier, as any version of Windows. You do not have to be a nerd to use it. Most things can be done through the GUI.

Above all. Don't give up, 'cos once you have LinuxMint installed, you'll never wish to go back to Windows.

Regards from a geriatric in New Zealand.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Somethings are easier to fix than others and a few just wont work but the forum is here to help. Give yourself another chance.
07gtimyfast
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 07gtimyfast »

Thanks for the reply's I really just needed to vent after the 4th re-install.

I'm running a zotac ion mother board with a 32g ssd and a 2tb hdd with nvidia everything (graphics, audio etc) mcp79?

linux mint xfce 64 bit

first problem I had was actually installing the OS, fixed by following a disk partitioning guide that really helped reinstall
second problem was no audio via hdmi, tried a few solutions on the forums, could not get it to work and ended up screwing up something- reinstall (ended up just running a analog to my stereo reciever and sound through my stereo speakers)
third problem downloaded XBMC only to get a bad case of stop. motion. super slow movement in the program, I read I needed to install the current nvidia graphics drivers to fix the problem but was almost afraid to try after the bad cases people have had doing that. Tried it anyways, guess what? black screen with blinking curser (fail) after boot. searched the forums and most said you need to download and install the correct driver "nvidia-linux-x86_64.xxx.xx.run" the only problem with that is that everyone assumes you know how to do that on a computer with a black screen and curser... I had no idea and could not find a solution on how to do that on a computer in that state so I just re-installed and called it a day. I'm very suspect to try anything new other than what the distro comes with so I can live without xbmc.

I'm not a newb to forums and infact am a mod on another forum but just new here, I absolutly HATE posting questions because I know for a fact they have been answered before, although my searching has sent me in 10 different directions with no "newb class" direction.

Even when I follow step by step directions I end up with error codes or screwing something up.

Don't get me wrong, I love how linux runs and like the interface, I like being able to type in a simple query like (xxx)(can't remimber the exact letters)and listing all the hardware etc. I just thing my editing days might be coming to an end because once I actually get all my files on this computer I don't want to be re-installing and having to put everything off the backup back on the fresh install.

If you made it this far thanks for reading my novel
Edward.H
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Edward.H »

I think it is not hard to install Nv card driver in Linux Mint,please tell us more details on that so that we can help you.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: I give up -Xfce 64bit and Nvidia

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here from Newbie Questions - title amended for clarity
aljoriz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I give up -Xfce 64bit and Nvidia

Post by aljoriz »

if you are using Linux Mint xfce DEBIAN 64bit there are issues with the kernel updates and nvidia drivers. It is my opinion that you are better off not installing proprietary drivers as the default drivers work well (unless you want 3D :oops: )

On the other hand, if you are using Mint 9 xfce 64bit installing proprietary drivers is a breeze and it is supported up to 3YEARS!

a few reminder from the Linux Mint page on Mint debian
Cons:
Although it's using Romeo for unstable packages, LMDE continuously changes as it receives updates and new software. Compared to a frozen version of Linux Mint which changes very little once it's publicly released, it's not as stable. Things are likely to break more often but fixes can also come quicker. For this reason, LMDE requires a deeper knowledge and experience with Linux, dpkg and APT.
Debian is a less user-friendly/desktop-ready base than Ubuntu. Expect some rough edges.
*italics and bold were emphasis on my part

Return to “Xfce”